Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drysuit2

Record Tuna

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

*** Is this out of hand or what?

By Alexander Abad-Santos | The Atlantic Wire

"To help the economy, a Japanese restaurateur bought a record-setting $736,000 bluefin tuna today at the first auction of the year at Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market. "Japan has been through a lot the last year due to the disaster," Kiyoshi Kimura, the restaurateur and now proud owner of the tuna, told the AP."Japan needs to hang in there. So I tried hard myself and ended up buying the most expensive one." Bidding crazy prices for bluefin tuna at the year's first auction isn't that uncommon in Japan--it's almost tradition. The Wall Street Journal pointed out that last year's then-record-setting fish sold for close to $400,000. But this year's fish is almost double the price and came with this nifty gesture: Kimura's sushi shop began selling the sushi today for just under $5 per piece--over $90 under its normal asking price."

The tuna was 593 pounds. The top bidder owns a string of upscale sushi restaurants. So whats better buying a 30 second Superbowl commercial for $2,000,000 or getting the advertising value of all of the publicity in Japan for $736,000. Probably a very smart business move.

Problem is that this just creates tremendous pressure on the bluefin and the Japanese need to be kept under control.

the pressure is there already this doesn't create more. First fish of the year is good luck and it goes for big bucks every year. bluefin sell for a lot anyways but not this high.

If I may contribute to this post, back home in Hawaii the price of top grade tuna is around $125 on up around the Christmas and New Years season. And I agree with surfcaster27 a lot has to do with the fat content. The Japanese are aware of the decline in the big pelagic stock of all kinds. You should read about some of the alternative sushi offered:shock: I wish there was some other alternative to tuna but it is good.

Its not out of hand, its the first fish of the season there, it will go for insane not-based-in-reality-prices for bragging rights for the restaraunt.

Every year we do the same thread. Every year it's the same answer.