Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RancocasRich

which reel? shimano curado-avet sx - Saltist 20?? opinions sought

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I am shopping to fill a void in my tackle choices. I have a line on a good buy on a St. Croix mojo bass 7' MHF rod. I plan to use it for back bay fishing and inshore, primarily jigging. I would also like to use it when I fish in Canada for big northerns. I want to pair it with a good reel and I am learning that there are many out there. It is being offered with a Daiwa Saltist20. My back bay fishing buddy highly recommends the Shimano Curado. Another person says the Avet SX is the way to go. I want to pay around $150.00 for a reel. What are forum folks' opinions on my choices? thanks. (conventional rod purchase opinions are also welcome because I haven't made the deal on the St. Croix yet)

I'd stick with a round baitcaster type reel (i.e. Shimano Calcutta). The Avet SX is a lever drag reel, and a good one at that, but I wouldn't want to be working its lever all day when flipping baits, besides it doesn't have instant anti reverse which will get tiresome real fast when constantly casting and retrieving.

Plenty of good baitcasters that will fit the bill, but you may have to pay more than $150 for a decent one. Unless of course you buy used.

I'd have to say the Saltist, but thats because I've been using one for the past two years (Saltist 20H last year and Saltist BG30 this year), caught several nice fish (drum) on the 20, upwards of 48" as well as a 50" and 46" on the 30 this year.

Wayne, I can't see the no IAR on the SX being a problem. Why do you say this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobia_slayer View Post

Wayne, I can't see the no IAR on the SX being a problem. Why do you say this?

It's not really a problem, more of a comfort and control thing. The slight play in the handle becomes a distraction when trying to stay "in touch" with your lure. I don't like any reel that does not have an IAR when I'm working lures or jigs. Chunking or bottom fishing - no problem.

It's not really a problem, more of a comfort and control thing. The slight play in the handle becomes a distraction when trying to stay "in touch" with your lure. I don't like any reel that does not have an IAR when I'm working lures or jigs. Chunking or bottom fishing - no problem.

Ok, I gotcha. I guess I'm more of a bait guy, and thats why I've never noticed.

Mojo Bass rod, jigging......DEFINATELY a Curado 300E. They match up well and the reel can handle the big fish too. The think an Avet SX wont fit on the reel stand on that rod but I can be wrong. I would definately go with the Curado or maybe take a look at a Calcutta 400.

Because you mentioned "big northern" fishing, I assume will be casting alot so you can definitely rule out the Avet.

Now it's between the 300E and Saltist. Casting wise, both great casters, but 300E slightly better because it can handle the lighter lures. Both have great drags, and both great in the salt.

If it were me, I would go with the 300E. I think the lower profile reel is more comfortable for all day casting.

I have all 3 reels. 2 300E's, 3 Saltists(20HA, 2 40H), and 4 Avets(2 SX's).

Definitely not the Avet. I have one & it's a great reel, but not for that application.

I use the Curado for the application you're talking about (backbay jigging/plugging) & it's a great reel - casts great & can handle big fish. I made pretty short work of a 40# this year with my 301E. Only thing is I'd switch out the stock dartanium drags for carbontex. I used to use a Calcutta, but I much prefer the low profile Curado.

I've got the Curado for my light tackle needs, but it's got the balls to go beyond typical light tackle use and it's damn comfortable to fish with. That said, I've also been fishing several Calcutta 400's for over a decade with real heavy striper surf and boat abuse...they rock and I luv 'em. The 400 is the same size as the Abu 6 series, which have many followers...but that size reel is a little bulkier than a true 'palmable' baitcaster. Curado or Calcutta 400 size depends on what you're really looking for and how they feel in your hand with the rod.

You'll have a long day on the water snap casting round conventional reels like the Saltist 20 or Avet SX on a 7' mojo. Even though you want to jig you'll still end up casting at some point.

The Curado is the best choice. If big Northern Pike is on the menu, I recommend the 300 size. You can still hold 110-120 yards of 20lb mono if you wish or load it up with braid. I have the 300 and it's my go too reel for casting all day and all night out of the kayak in the salt for SB's. I can jig and I can cast. What the 300 does not do well is throw under 1/2oz. If you want to throw less then a 1/2oz, I would look at the 200E size.

I have a couple of Calcutta 400s and curado 300 seris. I love both of them,but would give the curado the nod if you're mostly plugging. One of the most comfortable smooth reels I have ever owned. A word of caution is if you are into really big bass the stain on rthe reel will make you nervous. I have had a few 30+lbs on and it groans a lot,but did get the fish in. If you are finding bigger bass use a calcutta 400. They're both great reels. JP

Thanks so much for the posts to my question. I am scheduled to meet with a guy tomorrow and purchase a "pre-owned" Shimano Curado at a reasonable price. It will be a nice compliment to my new rod. I'll look forward to using it.

Mojo Bass rod, jigging......DEFINATELY a Curado 300E. They match up well and the reel can handle the big fish too. The think an Avet SX wont fit on the reel stand on that rod but I can be wrong. I would definately go with the Curado or maybe take a look at a Calcutta 400.

+1 for the curado, 300DSVs (older model) may be available in that price range

the SX reel foot will not fit, you'd have to order the trigger seat foot from avet.

Calcutta 400 is also a good choice