Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TJC

NYC worker looking to relocate ?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Looking into moving to Fl. Full time ....thinking about townhouse ...somewhat near the ocean for some surf fishing... Have family in fort Myers ..never been there.. Anybody got any areas I could look into ?

Ft. Myers is suppose to be beautiful.  I'm not sure if they are still giving away houses down there but I would look into it.  My friend bought a three bedroom 1900 SF townhouse, newer construction, two car garage, fully furnished for 90k!!!  This was three years ago, but I don't think they are fully recovered from the real estate crash so you may be able to grab a great deal like he did!!   Good Luck with your search.

Southern Florida is still an economic disaster, and you can find hundreds of beautiful homes at foreclosure, from Hallandale west through Alligator Alley to Ft. Myers. I fish down there and cannot believe how much real estate has dropped. Whole developments are hanging out there in various incompleted stages.

There are considerations other than price: Real estate taxes in some areas are wacked (but if you are from NYC or LI, you probably won't be too shocked), hurricane insurance can get quite high the closer to the beach you get, like $1000 a month, depending on your home etc.

But the fishing is great, the beaches are beautiful, the weather is warm to very sweaty and hot. You do have easy access to the Everglades, which is amazing fishing.

Have fun in this next phase of your life.

Josh