Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blushin

Surf rod cases

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Do any of u guys have cases for ur two piece surf rods.  I just got two new rods and reels and would like to get two cases to hold them when not in use. But I can't find anything.  Everything i can find is for fly fishing but there isnt anything available for surf rods

Thanks

phill

For the reels, Otter Box and Pelican make cases with foam inserts that can be cut/ajusted to fit any size reel. They're also water proof and very durable. I have a small Otter Box for my phone and camera and its worked great so far.

I went to a fabric shop and had a few flannel rod socks made up which protects the rod from scratches etc... which happens if you just toss your rods in the back and let them bang into each other , i then put them in a PVC tube while transporting to and from the fishing grounds.

It is during this stage where high end rods usually suffer damages that will eventually cause them to fail when fishing, so it's wise to go out of your way to protect them, rarely do rods fail due to a manufacturers defect .

The number of rods that have been damaged by sitting in the front bumpers on vehicles is countless, as even a small pebble will fracture the blank if contact is made, but you won't know it right away, and the person automatically thinks his rod has a defect and on many occasions ends up complaining about the rod Manufacturer. You are taking simple precautions and that's always a good idea.

Get a pvc tube and at one end cut two slits in it (probably a width of an inch or so) and a length of maybe two feet depending on handle length, that will allow you to carry the rods with the reels attached. You do realize that the reels will be on the outside of the tube i hope, but attached nonetheless.

I'm sorry, I read "Everything is for fly fishing".. I'd go with what cnnashman mentioned, and if you're concerned about the reel being exposed, you can always get reel cases or crown royal bags to protect them.. Other than that, I don't think they make cases for surf rods where you can leave the reels attached.

hmmmmmm, when you guys make them out of pvc, do you put some kind of foam on the inside or what?

Put a piece of pipe insulation on your rod before sliding it in and use zip ties to hold in place if necessary. 6'x 2 5/8" is only $6

yeh , i guess that would work, i mean i was kind of looking for something, more , well, i guess put together than pvc pipe but i guess thats going to have to do, i found  a company called nature boy that will make you a rod tube, they look pretty nice, might do that

How do you guys store your rods when they are at home? I have built up quite a collection and everything is in the garage, I have a few rods on the wall hanging horizontal on bike hooks but I don't have much room left not yo mention I don't like drilling holes in the cinderblock wall. Maybe one of those circular rod holders made of wood?

I also plan on getting some PVC tubes and pipe insulation for transporting rods, the insulation is a good idea.

A very simple solution to rod storage is take a bucket and cut some PVC pipe large enough to hold a rod. Fill the bottom of the bucket with sand or cement so that it is heavy enough not to tip over from rods. Place all the PVC pipes in the bucket standing up and now use a can of spray foam insulation to hold the pipes in place

A very simple solution to rod storage is take a bucket and cut some PVC pipe large enough to hold a rod. Fill the bottom of the bucket with sand or cement so that it is heavy enough not to tip over from rods. Place all the PVC pipes in the bucket standing up and now use a can of spray foam insulation to hold the pipes in place

Pretty ingenious idea......:th:

hmmmmmm, when you guys make them out of pvc, do you put some kind of foam on the inside or what?

If you store the rods in the flannel or similar rod sleeve you don't need extra protection, you just slide them into the pvc tube as they are already protected from each other. I already tried every concievable method including the pipe insulation, . I found using the pipe insulation alone does not offer the protection needed if something heavy fell on top of it, like if a cooler shifted while driving and fell on top of the rods etc...i know it's a long shot but iv'e had worse happen.

Having flannel rod sleaves made up cost me a total of $15.00 mostly to have them sewed the way i wanted them. And the pvc is the thin walled stuff not the heavy thicker variety.

Kiss cases no longer made but might be on evil bayy. Can get a two piece or three piece case and can take up to 9 feet one piece tips. Snow skiers also used to buy these cases for skies.

Mike