Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sinjin

Salmon River Next Week - Any Advice?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Going to drive up with a friend next week. Neither of us have done this type of fishing before at all. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. The plan is to dress warm, be safe, and use mostly spinning rods to drift eggs or use spoons (whichever people tell us is working).

leave the spoons home. blue egg sacs or run 8mm beads as seen here. these were all taken on a 12mm single bead centerpinning ie float fishing warmer weather also. #4-6 fluro and #12-16 hooks i like c14s globug its a gami hook 20 bux for 100pk had 2 bend on me this past fall on some big chrome that was landed.

Resampled_2011-10-17_14-14-20_94.jpg

Get a guide. What they can teach you in a couple day's it would take you months to learn by yourself. This is also a dangerous time of year. With freak weather changes and a ice covered river that you don't know is no place to be without local advice. Also this time of year fish becone more difficult to catch. You sometimes need a whole tackle strore in your car and that's what you'll end up buying if you don't hire a local. A few years ago I thought I could do it myself the first time. I fished 4 day's, 14 hours a day and I got 1 steelhead.

It's a very addictive type of fishing and once you learn it you will probably go 4 times a year as I do. If you want some advice about guides/lodgging give me a pm, be glad to help. Have fun!

Get a guide, very affordable and will certainly show you the ropes. I can reccommend if you want to PM me. Awesome time but can be very frustrating as well. Have different sizes of lead and be ready to loose a few rigs. Main ? with spinning is whether you are a float or a bottom bouncer. Frankly I cant get the hang of the float thing, but i like to fish the faster water anyways. Lastly dont be afraid to fish close, not all the fish are down the middle, they love seems just like any fish, if you nymph fish now, or even jig the canal you will have an idea of how to read the water. Tons of fun, only drawback can be the cold and lots of company.

Went up there a few years ago to try something new and break the winter blues. Caught nothing but we had NO idea what we were doing so no surprise there. Watch out for deer along the roads.... never seen so many in my life. :confused: