Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaseyGhee

Schaefer Beer 1st Prize pin

21 posts in this topic

Here is a pin w/a past. These pins were awarded by the Schaefer Beer company contest for only 2 years, In addition to being beautiful, they are extremely scarce. They were awarded to member fishermen for the top weighted bass in the various clubs. The pin has a heavy gold plated back (why not, gold was only $16/oz in those days), front is red enameled (no chips or scratches) w/ a gold plated bass pictured on the front ,w/ her eyeballs indented and enameled red. The gills are also shown as red enameled. The body and the star are gold plated, the plating is totally intact, although slightly scuffed between the anterior fins. Considering its age, it has to be considered at least a 9+. I had another that I sold on the threads,450 that was quite beaten up for about half the price of this irreplaceable momento of a time gone by. If I had to guess, the silouhette of the bass looks like a "fifty". We'll never know for sure. Anyway price is $125.00 PP and insured. Thanks for looking. CaseyGhee

Hi, I believe it was from the late 40's. Recollection dims after all those years. Anyway, that is a close approximation. It is a very scarce pin especially since it was a "first prize" fish award. Thanks for the interest. CaseyGhee

Casey., A very cool piece of history you have there! If you dont get any bites here, google up schaefer, and up comes a guy who has many of these type of pins in his collection. Yours is not pictured. Maybe he would be interested.

TTT C'mon guys, this is a piece of history re, the early days of chasing of our chosen quarry. You can own something that is unique to our "passion" and can never be reproduced. CaseyGhee

Casey Was that your award fish pin??? Would you by chance happen to be part of the old crew??? The pleasant bay tin fleet??

Well the barber has pasted on,are you the pharmacist, the haberdasher,the gardner or the plumber by chance???

I remember the tin fleet drifting by Old Harbor at night with eels then starting there motors to make another run.

I think I have -Nick the barber's pin.

Thanks for making me feel old.ha,ha

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0