Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FJR

" Old Man " Specials

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

A few months ago there was a thread where "old man " and winch were discussing single hook plugs. It seems that the " old man " likes small plugs with only a rear hook and winch was saying how it was tricky making them without a belly hook. I happened to have some bodies made that I thought would fill the bill, so I decided to give it a try. after a lot of trial and plenty of error I finally got one to swim. I then sent it off to the " old man " to be field tested. He responded with a positive report, even though it did not include any fish being caught, but then we all know there aren't any fish in RI :) So I then decided to make a couple out of different types of wood that I could test, so far so good, but it looks like it will be spring before I find out if the fish like them. White is made from ayc and blue is wrc, both go app. 4 1/2 " x 1.25 oz. They were fun to do and a real challenge. The white one has a tail by old man and the blue was done by whitey.

Awesome plugs as always frank ...make a mean handcarved ...tails on them are great looking tied by two

of the best ...learned alot from bob and whitey cant thank them enough for there help ...:wave:

Those are really cool , looks like all the trial and error paid off . Did you use a slug in place of the hook ? Iv been working on some single hook spooks for catch and release tuna , I wanted a spook that would cast a mile and only have a single hook on the rear .

The only problem I have with your plugs is that I never fish them because I'd be too sad if I lost 'em...great stuff as usual!

Did you have to weight the belly at all to get them to sit right in the water? Just curious...thanks!

I'm with the Dog I like the bottom blue one very nice work!

To be honest I don't know how you guys fish ANY of these plugs! If I lost one it would swimming time or dynamite to get the fish back who stole it!!! It would be neat to see who has caught a striper with a custom in his mouth? You guys?

Nice Frank, I like to throw plugs with just the rear hook when the blues are thick. Although they don't have to look that pretty, or even swim for that matter. :)

Thanks guys, appreciate the nice compliments !!!

Extreme - chunkah - Yes, I used a # 2 split shot in the belly at the lowest point. That was key in getting it to swim, tried smaller one's first but it wouldn't work, needed the heavier weight.

Chunkah - fish it, more can be made :)

Hi Steve - you learned well, that's for sure !!!!!

Highpockets - It's like anything, just practice. The first one's I made leave a lot to be desired :confused:

Hi Benny - Good to see you posting again

Jmac - you know how to make them work with one hook better then anyone !!!

Max - I don't worry about losing any :D that paint scheme was done from a suggestion by winch, thanks Chris !!!

I'm with the Dog I like the bottom blue one very nice work!

To be honest I don't know how you guys fish ANY of these plugs! If I lost one it would swimming time or dynamite to get the fish back who stole it!!! It would be neat to see who has caught a striper with a custom in his mouth? You guys?

Lot's of examples here...

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/795118/fish-on-custom-wood-2011