Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neildiamond11790

Need some help finding a fabric liner for tool draw

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I don't have many tools but I am trying to organize my work space in my garage. I have a couple of drawers in the work area but I want to line them with something. I didn't get any help at a Fabric store, or home depot. I am looking for the type of material that can be cut to line drawers that is felt like, thin, can handle a little abuse. I have this semi rigged felt idea in my head like I have seen before. This is not just for tools but for reel parts, and other fishing items. I hate the sound of things bumping into or over metal, so anyone have an idea? Need about 2 yards worth to line some drawers and cabinets.

Thanks, figure its a long shot, but if I learned anything on SOL in 2 years is that there are quite a few creative types here.

Yeah, why not felt?

Just get the heavier stuff, I buy it up to 3/4" thick for wipers on slitting machines.

Another thought are those oil absorbent pads that companies like New Pig sell, they call them pig mats you can cut them to size.

how about cork contact paper ??

felt gets 'fuzzy'

the carpet non slip things just don't stay put in my tool drawers .

i'm planning on doing the cork in mine when i re do them ..

the carpet non slip things just don't stay put in my tool drawers .

Try a light spray of contact adhesive. Be sure you've cut to size and let contact dry to touch before laying in the pad.

Try a light spray of contact adhesive. Be sure you've cut to size and let contact dry to touch before laying in the pad.

:) thanks but i'm allergic to contact cement .....

Go to a craft store like Michael's, they have felt sheets that are thick, about 12x20 in size, come in many colors ( Forest Green, the standard tool box liner color included) and are rigid enough to partially slice on one side to create flap's on 4 sides to fold upright to make a "tray " that will fit a drawer. If the drawer is bigger then the sheet, then you can tape the sheets together on the back side and do the same thing. I have done this with an old Kennedy Machinists box, and some micrometer boxes that needed relining that came out like new.

P.S.- If you size it up properly, you will need little, or no glue. A light spray adhesive would do it.

Be careful of anything that will absorb moisture. Especially humidity. Years ago I bought some stuff from Sears that was a plastic textured mat and lined my roll away with it. I found it in the tool section Never have had any problem with rust. I used to line my tackle boxes with "sheet cork" Any moisture that was absorbed quickly evaporated away .

i lined my bed box on my truck with replacement automotive carpet that can be bought at walmart last i knew. i have tools in there ect no probs with it being moist in there and it is preaty durable but its held down by contact cement, however u could use 2 sided tape

Got it. Home Depot Shaw carpet, 1/10 inch thick, tightly wrapped, can clean it easily, offers just enough padding, and will glue it down. Found other stuff but for the amount I need and size cuts I need I would have to buy a lot of little pieces, or larger sheets which brings the price up, this stuff is $.57 sq ft, so should cost me under $13.

Thanks for all the ideas, I will try a free sample first of the above carpet, see how it works, if it don't I got all your ideas to fall back on.

Any reason why you wouldn't use tool chest drawer liner? Got a Harbor Freight nearby?

If it were just for tools, then that would be fine, but other things are going in as well. Plus for the amount I need its cheaper with carpet, I already have the glue.