SeaMaster711

The Cocahoe Minnow

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Some old guy walked up to us at the wall between narragansett town beach and the coast gaurd house resturaunt. He started talking to us about fishing, also showing us a framed pic of his 53# striper takin last year from this same area and told us he caught eight hundred thirty something stripers last season...then he said.....this is a deadly bait right here, and pulled out the Cocahoe Minnow. he told us what it was called and my friend and I forgot, but then I surfed Cape Cod tackle and found this:

H & H Lures , Cocahoe Minnows, 3" , 10pk. - in your choice of color

Code: HHCOHOMN3

Price: $2.10

Quantity in Basket: none

He said they beat storms and power pogies w/ jig heads....

Anyone have any luck with the Cocohoe minnow?? Is it really a deadly striper and bluefish bait as he said it was??cwm12.gificon14.gif

[This message has been edited by SeaMaster711 (edited 12-01-2002).]

I know they're a big item, so to speak, south of the Mason/Dixon line, and are fairly durable for a soft plastic lure. Can't see why they wouldn't work on stripers or blues, but I know smallies and LMB like in the sweetwater.

Oh boy... sounds like yah got button-holed by Mr. Nelson Valles. He loves them coco's . Great guy, loves to talk fishing. Try Meridee's if ya want to pick some more brains with him. Course then ya have to deal with the Big Moose who also loves to, ahem, talk... cwm15.gificon14.gif

I SLAY bass on them all spring, in the Queen size. Here's a tip: cut the dorsal fin off, runs straight then wink.gif

Black/pearl, Chartruese w/red tail icon14.gificon14.gif

Mike Lang

------------------

usa3.gif336tfs.jpg

Berkly has one called a "Berkly power mullet" and its like a "next generation" cocohoe and its impregnated with some fish attractent scent which really works..!!

Its been my go to kure lately.. Caught a group on it 3 days ago.. got some cudas a couple of hours ago.. hit many stripers at Montauk this year with it. I gave a couple to Crazy Alberto, Dab Dugan and Paul Meylnick and told them to "USE THEM!"..

yup they work!!!

But I leave the dorsal fin on... I think it has alot to do with the fish attracting profile of the lure..

Yes they work... yes they work... yes they work....

You can also order direct from H&H Lures in Baton Rouge, LA. Minimum $100 order, you fax in what you want, money order only.

Get the catalog ... there are many colors to choose from. Also, they make some great matching saltwater jigheads.

Oh yeah, down there "cocahoe" is pronounced "cock-a-hoe." smile.gif

-WW

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

[This message has been edited by fishweewee (edited 12-02-2002).]

I SLAY bass on them all spring, in the Queen size. Here's a tip: cut the dorsal fin off, runs straight then wink.gif

Black/pearl, Chartruese w/red tail icon14.gificon14.gif

Mike Lang

What'd'ya mean MIKE? They don't work! wink.gif

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

I like the small ones for northport, and the largest size for jetty fishing. Mr. Lang advises us to cut off the dorsal for better action, and that helps in the water, but they also cast much better than most trailers with the fins trimmed. Good bait IMO.

JC

Plain unpainted jigheads work good on these cocahoes and other soft plastics like Power Pogies?? I ask this because unpainted jigheads are like 10 cents a peice and if it's true I'll stock up on em'.biggrin.gif

------------------

Tight Lines!

-Vic