Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RussSommers

Pots off the Reefs Bill - URGENT!!!! NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Take action now to get pots off the reefs - SCROLL TO BOTTOM, AUTOMATED EMAIL ON BOTTOM OF PAGE. VERY EASY!!

Published: Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 10:53 AM Updated: Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 11:06 AM

By Al Ristori

Following is a vital message from Capt. Peter Grimbilas about the Pots Off the Reefs legislation that has a majority of the Assembly signed on as cosponsors, but won't come to a vote before the last session concludes unless Speaker Sheila Oliver schedules it. You can send her an e-mail automatically and at no cost due to the cooperation of the American Sportfishing Association. Do so now -- and also urge friends to do the same. If not passed in this session, everything will have to be done again from scratch in the next session.

PLEASE HELP NOW! It takes only 30 seconds and will help all of NJ's saltwater fishermen and women.

IMPORTANT! Pass this along to your friends too!

I just took action in support of legislation that could prohibit the use of obstructive commercial traps on marine artificial reefs. I encourage you to do the same.

Please take action today. It's quick and easy:

http://keepamericafishing.salsalabs.com/o/6394/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4056

This bill has passes state senate 3 times and died in the assembly twice. Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver can push this through. If the commercial pots are not banned from the reefs the federal government will cut funding for the NJ artificial reef program. Please send her a message through this site.

I just took action in support of legislation that could prohibit the use of obstructive commercial traps on marine artificial reefs. I encourage you to do the same.

How about a little background on this instead of just begging people to sign your petition?

How are the commercial traps "obstructive"?

What gives you more right to marine artifical reefs than comms?

icon14.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS View Post

Done - I wrote them my own personal email smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid View Post

How about a little background on this instead of just begging people to sign your petition?

How are the commercial traps "obstructive"?

What gives you more right to marine artifical reefs than comms?

Q.   "What gives you more right to marine artifical reefs than comms?"

A.   Perhap the e-mail that I just sent may answer this, in part; however, perhaps too, no views that conflict with commericial interests may be deemed reasonable: 

“No, as it turns out it’s not illegal—just unethical.” 

This issue is as much about doing what is right, as it is about being a good political representative of the people who have helped put one into a position of influence and into one which has a measure of power.

A-1152 has been in committee for some time now.  This may be suggestive of Assemblyman Albano, District 1, and Chair of the Agriculture and Natural Resources committee, perhaps being too protective of special interests (maybe including his own) rather than embracing the principle of majority decision-making.  It is within his district that is the home port of many of the commercial vessels that fish these reefs. 

A release from the 11th Legislative District (April 28, 2011) stated, “The legislators noted that the large amount of commercial traps being placed in artificial reefs negatively affect recreational fishing and violates the Sport Fish Restoration Act, which provides federal funding for the artificial reef program.”

Commissioner Bob Martin stated—when he gave his NJDEP 2012 Fiscal Budget request to the General Assembly Budget Committee—that he was aware of the situation and was planning on a trip out to the reefs to observe the problem first hand. He also stated there must be some form of compromise. 

Compromise is, indeed, in accord with the purpose of Executive Order No. 3 (2010), as acknowledged in the Executive Summary of the committee that it established:  “The central thesis of this report is simple and clear: the state must achieve a better balance between protecting the public and nurturing free enterprise.”

Likwid,

First let me say that I support commercial fishing, if done in moderation. Certain industries are very well controlled such as the scallop fishery. Others for instance, such as the North Carolina Striped Bass Midwater Trawlers, Omega Proteins absolute raping of baitfish stocks, and the Chesapeake Bay unmarked gill nets clearly are not. In addition, commercial fishing in the spawning grounds of Porgies, Black Sea Bass, Summer Flounder, Winter Flounder, Whiting and other species has had a direct correlation to a significant stock in the spawning stock biomass of those species; this is a FACT and as such, is not up for debate.

As far as the obstruction related with commercial pots, I cannot count the times I have been on the artificial reef whether it be for fluke, seabass, porgy, blackfish, cod, etc. Where spots I had fished previously were then covered with commercial pots. Fishing over these heavily potted areas can result in: hanging an anchor on commercial gear, continually busting off terminal tackle on commercial gear, and commercial "by-catch" of blackfish, seabass, porgy, etc being wiped off the spot, as those species tend to hide in the gear.

As far as who deserves access, it is not my opinion, it is legislation. As noted above the Sport Fish Restoration Act, which provides funding for the program mandates it. In addition, many of the vessels, train cars, reef balls, etc which lie on the reef have been funded wholly or in part by recreation groups including Dive Clubs and Fishing Clubs. So, to close the loop on that one for you, allow me to walk you through an example:

Manasquan River Marlin and Tuna Club sponsors a 65' tug to be sunk, funding the cost of the retired vessel, the tug to tow it out and the costs of sinking. Then a commercial potter sets his gear all over that wreck, thus rendering it unfishable. This is essentially stealing. Someone taking "ownership" or taking full use of something which they did not pay for. I hope that clears it up for you.

likwid and others, this is not just an issue in NJ but, presently, for Delaware and is a consideration of NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Regional Office and Northeast Fisheries Science Center.

For more about this, see (click on icons):

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdiver View Post

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdiver View Post