Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sardean

What should I ask a Taxidermist to look for for me for tying?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just started tying this year, well last year now, and I have a friend who is a wildlife taxidermist. I usually buy my stuff from a local shop except for a couple of bucktails that were given to me. He gave me a piece of polar bear skin from an old rug that he had given to another friend that ties. He told me to wash it in dawn and it will come out beautiful. What kind of furs, hackles, ect. would I ask him to look for for me?

Thanks.

Personally, I would take anything and everything he has to offer.

As you are just starting, make sure to store it well and you will eventually find a need.

One thing you will find is materials accumulate like wild fire.

It is however critical to take care in storing it so to prevent issues. ( Mold, Insects, etc...)

p.s.

I would use Woolite as opposed to Dawn

Making the assumption that you're interested in a wide range of tying -- and that your friend is doing game mounts --

Feathers are going to be problematic, because the "good stuff" will all be on the mounts !! However, "scraps" of pheasant, grouse, partridge, and various waterfowl can all be put to good use.

Fur scraps are another matter-- a partial list of goodies:

Mink, Beaver, Otter, Muskrat, Woodchuck, Red fox,Grey fox,Arctic fox, Black bear, Sheep (especially Icelandic ),Squirrel(Pine, black, grey, red), Coyote, Raccoon,Opossum( especially Australian), Mole, Antelope, Moose, Deer (both northern & Texas/Florida), Caribou, Wild boar( bristles), Badger, Skunk, Nutria and of course, Rabbit.

Make very sure that everything is thoroughly disinfected, washed, and all hides de-greased --preferably tanned.

Store you furs/hides in fully-sealed containers, with moth balls.

Finally-- and I'm not trying to be a wise guy, see if you can contact a local furrier -- you may be able to get beautifully tanned,soft pieces of furs that would otherwise be discarded-- minks of various shades, etc, etc.

Sardean, having amassed entirely too many materials myself (more than I will ever use) I offer the following. Since admitted you have only started tying within the last year, your repertoire of patterns and tying skills is blossoming. Instead of grabbing whatever you can, ask for materials that are included in recipes for flies that you want to learn to tie. For example, ask for Elk hair or Elk hide with hair, if you desire to tie an Elk haired cadis. Many of the tiers on this board will tell you to grab everything. That's one way to go about it. Another way is to ask for only what you need.

There is practically no material that your taxidermy friend can offer that you cannot legally purchase on the market today.

In any event congratulations on your source of materials and good luck tying! I look forward to seeing what you are capable of tying with the materials you acquire.

He asked me, " what are you looking for?" I guess what I want to know is what kind of bird produces good feathers? I fish for bass fluke blue ect primarily. I've tied the clouser jiggy deciever popper so far. Oh and I tied some wooly buggers for my dad for xmas. I guess I should look up some recipes here and go from there.

Making the assumption that you're interested in a wide range of tying -- and that your friend is doing game mounts --

Feathers are going to be problematic, because the "good stuff" will all be on the mounts !! However, "scraps" of pheasant, grouse, partridge, and various waterfowl can all be put to good use.

Fur scraps are another matter-- a partial list of goodies:

Mink, Beaver, Otter, Muskrat, Woodchuck, Red fox,Grey fox,Arctic fox, Black bear, Sheep (especially Icelandic ),Squirrel(Pine, black, grey, red), Coyote, Raccoon,Opossum( especially Australian), Mole, Antelope, Moose, Deer (both northern & Texas/Florida), Caribou, Wild boar( bristles), Badger, Skunk, Nutria and of course, Rabbit.

Make very sure that everything is thoroughly disinfected, washed, and all hides de-greased --preferably tanned.

Store you furs/hides in fully-sealed containers, with moth balls.

Finally-- and I'm not trying to be a wise guy, see if you can contact a local furrier -- you may be able to get beautifully tanned,soft pieces of furs that would otherwise be discarded-- minks of various shades, etc, etc.

Missed that post. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

I got a moose mane a few years ago from a coworker who cousin is an outfitter in michigan. I had to process it and I used dawn in hot water then rinse it then used woolite and on some pieces used bleach for dying. I plan to tie some sculpins with it. I dyed a large section with kelly green color if RIT along with the natural color and it is going to make some nice sculpins. The mane from this bull is enough to last a lifetime and it turned out great with some fibers as long as 8" ! I also have some leftover 00 rod wrapping thread that I am going to try to spin this mane. If successfull will post these sculpins on this forum ;)