Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drewc00

Post your Rod!

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

For springtime schoolies, throwing light stuff - a Batson SH1026

For heavier stuff, where casting distance isn't too important, when I'm on the rocks, or a boat - a $10, 7 foot OEM glass blank I built as a teenager

For really heavy stuff - Batson SW1089 (which someone better be returning pretty soon)

For big plugs where distance matters or working pencils - Lami 1363M with a foot trimmed off the butt

The rest of the stable is rounded out by a collection of off-label glass blanks of various sizes, a few Lami GSBs, some old Fenwicks, and a couple other Batsons, but the 4 above probably see 98% of the action.

10'6" St. Croix Mojo, rated 3/4-4 oz., paired with a VS200. This is my everyday plugging setup. However, will be trading in the Mojo for the 10'6", 2-6 oz Legend in a week or two when I call it quits for the season.

Also am purchasing a 9' St. Croix Mojo and pairing it with one of my Penn 550ssg reels to use on calmer days, when I want to only throw light plugs, or just fishing calmer waters.

These two setups will cover about 80% of my surf fishing, since I do not fish bait, except for eels, and mainly target Bass and Blues.

15 lb NS Bass.jpg

back bay-st. croix premier 7ft with a small tica reel (not sure the model, it cant find it online anymore)

general purpose-11ft ron arra 1321 with a van staal 250.  i use this on the ocean beaches, some inlets and montauk

north shore- st. croix triumph 9ft 1/2-2 1/2 paired with either a penn 750ssm, or my greenie 704.  i dont fish the sound much so i didnt really get high quality, stil a great rod though

chunking- quantum 11ft rated to throw 10oz with abu garcia 7000 mag. again, i dont chunk much so didnt get high quality

and to start next season im having  a rod made for me.  its gonna be a beauty wrapped on a gsb 1321 blank paired with a silver zeebaas.  cant wait to get my hands on that

back bay-st. croix premier 7ft with a small tica reel (not sure the model, it cant find it online anymore)

general purpose-11ft ron arra 1321 with a van staal 250.  i use this on the ocean beaches, some inlets and montauk

north shore- st. croix triumph 9ft 1/2-2 1/2 paired with either a penn 750ssm, or my greenie 704.  i dont fish the sound much so i didnt really get high quality, stil a great rod though

chunking- quantum 11ft rated to throw 10oz with abu garcia 7000 mag. again, i dont chunk much so didnt get high quality

and to start next season im having  a rod made for me.  its gonna be a beauty wrapped on a gsb 1321 blank paired with a silver zeebaas.  cant wait to get my hands on that

You've got a 750ssm on a 9 footer? That reel sounds a little heavy to be on a 9 footer. I've got a 750ssm myself but its on one of my ten foot rods and only use it on the rare occasion of me throwing a chunk. Now I've never put it on a 9 foot rod rated up to 2 1/2 oz., so I can't tell you your off balance, but that's kinda what it sounds like to me :D , so I guess I'm curious, why do you choose that size reel for a light 9 footer?

I only fish the surf and will throw the following #1 Ballistic Surf 35 w/ Saltist 30 , #2 Allstar 1508 13'3" w/ Saltist 20 , #3 Rainshadow 1502 12'6" w/ Avet MXL mc , #4 Allstar 1418 11"9" w/ Avet Sxmc, #5 Allstar 1509 13' w/ Daiwa 7ht mag, oh my it's looks worse once you start listing them all i am just going to stop there and check into fishing rehab.:eek:

Winter holdovers and kayak rod is a 7ft Quantum spinning with a Quantum Energy 30PTi

8ft Beachrunner spinning with a Penn 550SSg

9ft Tsunami Trophy Series with the 550SSg

10ft Tsunami Airwave with the 550SSg

I switch between the three surf rods depending on which one I feel like using, not really condition related. The 550 works on all the rods quite well for the fishing I do.

Have been using a 7 foot Airwave most of the time which is very light weight, but has plenty of backbone.    Also carry with me an 8 foot Airwave when i need to get a bit more distance.  Great rods at a great price.

From the sand, when I'm feeling old and tired, an old Ben Doerr 10 footer conventional. Tame rocks or cape Cod Canal, an old eleven foot Daiwa Sealine conventional. When I'm feeling good, or when I'm planning on getting beat up on the splashy rocks, a ten foot honey glass 121-3M, also conventional.

If I could only have one, it would be the honey. ;)

VS250 - GSB132M, mostly for Montauk trips

ZB25 - GSB132L and Kennedy Fisher 10'M (forgot the mod.#)

ZB22 - Kennedy Fisher 10L, this is my main local beach rod.

VS150 - GSB108M and 96M, this is my backbay set up. I find myself fishing more and more the 8' especially at night as it's much lighter without sacrificing too much distance.

I used to wrap all my rods many years ago but have the above all rewrapped in the last couple of years by local shops. As I get older, I now prefer more of the lighter set ups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smk379 View Post

You've got a 750ssm on a 9 footer? That reel sounds a little heavy to be on a 9 footer. I've got a 750ssm myself but its on one of my ten foot rods and only use it on the rare occasion of me throwing a chunk. Now I've never put it on a 9 foot rod rated up to 2 1/2 oz., so I can't tell you your off balance, but that's kinda what it sounds like to me biggrin.gif , so I guess I'm curious, why do you choose that size reel for a light 9 footer?

believe it or not, its actually pretty well balanced.  it wasnt so much of a choice.  i dont use it often, and i didnt want to go buy a reel for a rod i dont use much, but when i put it on i was pleasantly suprised.  it is a bit of overkill for a north shore reel, but it works.  i do prefer to use my greenie 704 instead since i spool that with lighter line and the balance on it is perfect, but either one works on that rod

believe it or not, its actually pretty well balanced.  it wasnt so much of a choice.  i dont use it often, and i didnt want to go buy a reel for a rod i dont use much, but when i put it on i was pleasantly suprised.  it is a bit of overkill for a north shore reel, but it works.  i do prefer to use my greenie 704 instead since i spool that with lighter line and the balance on it is perfect, but either one works on that rod

I know what your sayin, I refuse to spend the money on a real chunking rod because it won't get used enough to make it worth it, so I just use one of my old heavier plugging rods. But hey, whatever works!

Primarily fish Montauk and use these:

(2) 10’-0” JK Fisher M (8720) w/ VS250 - 40 & 50 lb braid (main fall rod - wood plugging & eels)

(2) 10’-0” JK Fisher L (8320) w/ VS250 - 30 & 40 lb braid (main general plugging / calmer surf or when mostly school fish)

(1) 9'-6" JK Fisher LM (8320) cut from tip & butt w/ VS200 - 40 lb braid (rigged & live eel rod)

(1) 9'-0" JK Fisher L (8308) w/ VS200 - 30 lb braid (light plugging, calm surf & summer)

(1) 9'-0" JK Fisher XL (6908) w/ VS150 (xtra light schoolie rod - small plugs & summer)

Looking to build another new 9' rod...maybe GSB/SSU 108 1L or M for use with a VS150.