Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ditch Dog

Second wave

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

So I posted a while back my first attempt at building.

Here is my second attempt. I discovered via the search function here, how to apply scales to a plug. The design is a simple pencil. Weighted in the tail to float tail down approx. 30 degrees. Seems to be a good balance between casting distance, and ease of getting the bait to slash back and forth on the retrieve. Pencils seem to be the easiest to make for me that will swim well with limited building skills. Just can not wait until the 2012 season.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2712978/width/600/height/450]

I am working on some poppers that I basically hand carved (whittled) with x-acto knife and sandpaper. Laborious task but it was fun to mold them s-l-o-w-l-y........ I'll post them up when I have tails tied for them. Same basic scale pattern. Silver/Black, White/Black.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Be nice.....I am sensitive. ;)

Nice Ditch. I like the big eye a lot. I'm re-thinking my Pencils. Had a lot of issues last year with mine.

Ruh-Roh.

I hope those issues are not contagious. Care to elaborate before I make a whole bunch of display models. Or ...before my wife has a hand in it.......Christmas ornaments!

Looks like spring at the canal is going to be extra rewarding for you with those fine looking baits....NICE!

Thanks Chunkah. Exactly where they will swim.

Seeing there can be loads of squid at times in the canal I am also working on my idea of a squid popper. No one throws poppers at night but I always see and hear squid squirting/splurting in the top three feet of the water column. That is what I am trying to duplicate...in theory anyway. (Shh, it's a secret bait that no one knows about) = said with tongue in cheek.

Ruh-Roh.

I hope those issues are not contagious. Care to elaborate before I make a whole bunch of display models. Or ...before my wife has a hand in it.......Christmas ornaments!

My plugs don't always fly right. They also can submarine in the chop, which is a pisser. BUT...you also can learn to work a pencil no matter how much it's not perfect. I have learned to cast better because of it and I've learned to work a pencil better because of it and I have always managed to catch on them.

I need to fatten mine up a nit in the middle I think? I have to go through my plugs and pick out the best ones and line them up against my worst ones and see what I did different.

Good job Dog excellent for a second time wow ! I too like the one with the big eyes. Can't wait to see pics of your squid popper, I bet they work awesome at night. I used to catch a lot of largemouth's on poppers at night the striper should eat em too? Nice job good for you, MAX :)

Ditch,

Do you generally fish Pencils with a bucktail on them? I know some guys do and some don't. I don't, but only because I've heard they can deter the swishy, swoopy part.

I think people think Pencils are "easy" to make, but in reality, they are not as easy as it would seem. There's a lot of variables that go into making a "sweet" pencil and after 2 years....I'm not there at all. I thought I was...but I was wrong.

Part of my issue MAY be the long tail weights I use. Of course, Mike at M&D's sells and uses them himself and has no issues, so I really need to hammer out the flight issues. The other thing I am skeptical on is "user experience". I have found that between 2 different rods, my ability to cast a pencil changes dramatically. How do you adjust for that, besides learning how each rod reacts to launching a 2-3 oz rocket at the right arc to get a good flight? Practice I would think.

If that's the case, then trying to work out the "perfect pencil" may be a waste of time as you can learn to cast anything with enough time. I would be more inclined to make sure the Pencil is walking well over casting.

Anyways....sorry. Rambling. Been a while since I've done the "Dear Diary" thing, lol.

I think your Pencils will be just fine Ditch. Shapes are good. How much weight are you using?