Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishinCrazy

Please Help a Musky Fishery:

6 posts in this topic

Hello freshwater guy's here at SOL.I just recently learned about this and wanted to pass it on to you.I was watching Larry Dahlberg over the Holidays and he did a show from the Clinch River System in Tennessee.This trophy fishery is being destroyed due to a lack of regulations in regards to live bait fishing in the cold water months.From what I gathered folks are fishing live trout on single hooks and gut hooking allot of these larger fish.The mortality rate is a staggering 90%At the rate their going this fishery could be destroyed in a matter of years.A request was made to all concerned fisherman to send an e-mail to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency at Twra.comment at tn.com (use @ instead of at)

Please this will only take a moment of your time and it could save a fishery!For more information go to Larry's site. Here is the letter I sent you can send your own but this one will work great.

Dear Sirs,

As a fisherman and supporter of our fragile environment, I applaud you on the Musky fishery you have created in the Clinch River system on the Melton Hill Reservoir .I understand that a fishery such as this needs constant attention and control with live bait restrictions, artificial only fishing, hook restrictions, and catch and release rules. The 50” size limit is something which helps the survival of the species.

With this said in the cold water months an artificial only season would ensure the future of this fishery, cutting the high mortality rate of this dominant predator from the high level (90%) I understand it is at now due to bait fishing, to an acceptable level which who knows in future could create a world class fishery in your own back yard. Please consider this as a way to ensure the continued success of this fishery both for the fisherman the fish, and the local economy.

As a fisherman who looks for the opportunity to travel and fish for dominant species such as Musky a move in this direction would in my opinion cause an influx of tourism to your state. I would think that the changes to your regulations to protect this species would benefit the economy of your state, the local area around these waters, and your own coffers through increased license sales.

Respectfully,

Thank You Happy New Year!!

FC

also done. more people need to be educated on these fish. Even some people who claim to be muskie anglers could use a good lesson in fish handling, proper release tools, and hot water fishing...im no where near tennessee but im all about regulations protecting my favorite fish