Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

and another show bites the dust...

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Sigh...

The Timoniun Fishing Expo and Boat Show at the state fairgrounds was mostly freshwater oriented, but a welcome break from cabin fever, all the more so since we lost the AMSA show. Just found this notice posted by the show's promoters...

Show Cancellation Notice

As a result of the economic conditions affecting our country, and our resulting inability to attract the number of exhibitors needed to produce a quality event, we have decided to cancel the Fishing Expo & Boat Show scheduled for January 13-15, 2012. We know that America is much stronger economically than it appears presently, and we know the economy will rebound and our country will flourish again in the future. When that happens, we will bring back the Fishing Expo & Boat Show and return it to its position of importance to the region’s recreational and sport fishing communities.

Thank you for your support over the past 27 years; we are deeply appreciative and grateful. We hope to have your support again in the future.

Bob Dobart, Show Promoter

Bill, It is very sad to see what is happening to the outdoor sports during our lifetime. Shops closing, shows being discontinued, a near majority of our citizens having disgust for what we do as outdoor sportsmen, fish populations decimated or in great decline, etc... I see it all over in firearms, archery, fly fishing, B&T's, gun clubs, archery clubs, you name it it is in a steady decline. I don't have an answer to this but it is painfully obvious that what we all are currently doing is not working.

Where it is not completely gone it is getting tougher and tougher financially to participate in. $140 a dozen for cedar arrows, $80 fly lines, $700 rods, $3 per bullet for hunting pistol rounds, $40 boxes of waterfowl shells, $3000 hunting O/U shotguns, $1200 spinning reels, etc..... how are fathers affording to get their families involved in the outdoor sports in this economy at prices like this? The government won't have to ban or add restrictions to this activity to end it .... our greed will do it all by itself.

Very sad...................

At least there's the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show coming up, but our company being an exhibitor there I know how much it cost to be a vendor. We have 4 10'x10' spots and its running us about $4000 that's not including electric hook up, vendor passes, parking passes, and wifi. That's only one of three shows we're going to this year, so I can see why some companies can't attend.

I think it started back when the family units declined and now it's mostly single parent families whose focus is on surviving and not really ANY focus on recreational time. It used to be your father or grandfather took you hunting or fishing or in my case a neighbor's father took me fishing and hunting and I was off to the races! Now kids are babysat by the tv and video games why the single parent works or just simply trys to cope. It has affected the work ethic and many other things in our society as well as the outdoor sports. It is harder now a days to get permission or simply find a place to go! You know as well as me once the kids got into they would be hooked just like we were when we were taken and shown the ropes. I know because I watched it save my son's life after being separated for some years due to a NASTY divorce, he was proof to me it works!

Some state's have an archery in the schools program that is sponsored by Mathews archery company that is helping to show the youth the fun that archery etc. can be! I think all of us as sportsman should try and introduce someone to the outdoors be it a neighbors kid or a single parents kid in your neighborhood etc. or just your own child. We should also try to find these programs and support them and try to get them in our school system if they are not already. Maybe we can turn the tide of the kids currently and GET THEM OUTDOORS and save the outdoor sports we love so much! I know for a fact how far a neighbor taking a young kid fishing and hunting means and that it works! It saved my sons life years later and to be honest it probably actually saved mine! Lets ALL try to introduce someone to the great outdoors in 2012 and save our outdoor sports and who knows maybe even a life or two. I sure intend to..... MAX

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post

Bill, It is very sad to see what is happening to the outdoor sports during our lifetime. Shops closing, shows being discontinued, a near majority of our citizens having disgust for what we do as outdoor sportsmen, fish populations decimated or in great decline, etc... I see it all over in firearms, archery, fly fishing, B&T's, gun clubs, archery clubs, you name it it is in a steady decline. I don't have an answer to this but it is painfully obvious that what we all are currently doing is not working.

Where it is not completely gone it is getting tougher and tougher financially to participate in. $140 a dozen for cedar arrows, $80 fly lines, $700 rods, $3 per bullet for hunting pistol rounds, $40 boxes of waterfowl shells, $3000 hunting O/U shotguns, $1200 spinning reels, etc..... how are fathers affording to get their families involved in the outdoor sports in this economy at prices like this? The government won't have to ban or add restrictions to this activity to end it .... our greed will do it all by itself.

Jim, I truly believe that the steady decline in our business environment as a whole is less and less support of your local small businesses and more and more of the "big box" mentality for goods and services.  You can't find a good outfitted tackle shop in Harford County anymore.

You can look at many different business categories and see that the "big box" mentality is having a detrimental effect on small business (local hardware shops, tackle shops, electronics, office supplies (know this category very well)).  I certainly don't have an issue with the "big box" stores as this is a capitalist country but I believe in my heart that we must support our local community if we want a balanced business environment.

Many of these vendors that would have participated in the past probably just can't justify the investment.  Big box stores like to promote the "high end goods" along with their "department store capacity". why would anyone want to go anywhere else. I truly believe that as more and more business is shifted to the "big box corporations" the more control of the pricing of categories will shift in their favor.  Profit margins and meeting stockholder demand is their main goal, nothing else (not trying to offend anyone that works for one of these corps as I know they do employ a good bit of folks and alot of people's investments are tied to these corps)

support your local businesses, hold them to the highest standards since no business should be exempt, and realize that local representation and service will go a long way for our economy.

just my .02 cents.  Tight lines everyone and Happy New Year

Mtd I agree and add to that Internet sales as well.

There is nothing more I miss in the outdoors sports businesses is the local archery shop and indoor archery leagues in the winter. I spent a lot of my life in my teens through my late 20's to early 30's in archery and archery clubs and shops. Compared to that time in my life what is available in Northern DE and the three other states it might as well be dead. Archery clubs that at one time had hundreds of active members have a handful of active members now. Archery shops were 5 times what we have now and way more facilitized to support shooters needs and league shoots and activities. It is sad but I do believe in looking to save a dime outdoor sport customers have cost themselves a place to commune locally.

At least there's the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show coming up, but our company being an exhibitor there I know how much it cost to be a vendor. We have 4 10'x10' spots and its running us about $4000 that's not including electric hook up, vendor passes, parking passes, and wifi. That's only one of three shows we're going to this year, so I can see why some companies can't attend.

Quite honestly IMO that has gone down hill as well. Maybe not for everyone and I certainly hope not for your company but for me or anybody that does more fishing then hunting.

Mostly all hunting and fishing guides. And if I need hunting stuff Cabelas is only 45 minutes up the road.

Very little tackle anymore.

Think last year there may have been 3 places that sold tackle and one was a local shop I support anyways.

Definitely not worth me taking the family there for a day.

I learned the last couple years if you want fishing stuff you hit these little shows at the fire halls and schools. And most of them have trout ponds set up for the kids :th:

^^^^ Susquehanna Tackle ?????? Best river shop within 100 miles. You do go there ? All things change with the times. Things flourish, things wane, then come back or some one comes up with a better idea. Local shops, unless they fill a niche, will never come back. Then again, I can get every conceivable thing I need for both fishing and hunting over the internet and usually at a better price.....the better idea. The only thing missing is the personal touch. I try to support the locals even if it costs more but unless "they fill a niche" due to location, product, or customer service they are doomed. I will miss Tomoniun, but will see you at the Eastern Sports Expo in the boat section. Adapt or perish, the way it's always been.

Jim - typically I stay out of these types of conversations, but I think you are spot on here. Hunting especially seems to be trending more toward guided and canned hunts. Guides and outfitters are buying up the leases that we used to get wiht a knock on the door of the farmer and a friendly hello. My kid has been sitting in the goose pit and duck blind with me since he was 5, got his hunter safety last spring and now gets to participate but I've about reached my limit to what I can justify. By the time I pay for my lease and a place to stay, and then the decoys and shells, and don't even talk to me about the clothes (my kid will NEVER own a pair of 80.00 under armour longjohns). Apparenlty you can't call a goose any more with a 10 dollar Olt....you need a 200 dollar Foiles. Cabelas and Bass-pro are not helping the guy that wants to take his kid hunting. I love, and am passionate about waterfowl and waterfowling, and have ebeen since I was a 7 year old kid carrying my dad's bag out to the blind, but I am starting to strongly beleive that the biggest threat to hunting in particular is not the anti-gun folks, it's the whole new hunting culture that I see emerging out of the giant outfitters.

I'm gonna keep making my own silloettes, blowing my old scobey call, wearing my carharts until the stuffing comes out, but there will come a time when I lose my lease to somoene willing to pony up thousands, and I am not gonna join some 30 person club to kill a goose. It's getting pretty tough for the guys with limited opportunities and limited funds to take a kid hunting.

Rant over - hopefully this weather is gonna push some of those long island birds down here and we can hammer em the last few weeks of this season.

BOH, that wasn't a rant .... Unfortunately it is just the way it is today. The thing I feel the worst about is this all happened on our watch! How did we let it come to this? Greed has made us just plain stupid about the things that really matter, outdoor sports being one of them.

For hunting the last refuge is public land. I am fortunate to live in a state that has vast stretches of public land and they do there best with limited resources to add to it. The "knock" on public land is you have to deal with the "large population of the big orange army". We have been hunting public land for the last 40 years and that "big orange army" is just a canard. For people that know how to hunt and stay at it there are vast places that rarely get seriously hunted. The majority of the "orange army" park along the first pull off into a particular game land that has an open space, walk about 1000 yards into the forest, and sit, break for lunch, go back, and out before dusk . Might work on day one or two but not a good strategy for success in general. We use the resources available and laugh at the "leasers" who post and patrol it tight. Most merely sit in a heated stand waiting for a shooter to walk by.....not our idea of hunting. Make the best of what you really have and fight for it to increase and continue.

No doubt runner - Maryland as well has plenty of public hunting opportunities. I really don't care too much about deer hunting so the orange army can have at it. From a waterfowl perspective, things have changed greatly in the last 20 years, and there are plenty of free areas for those willing to do the research and put in the time....to date I have not done either. I'm not interested in guided hunts, not interested in joining a club, and for whatever reason - not at all interested in shooting resident birds (even though the opportunities abound)...I'm just partial to the migrators. Taking my kids hunting (and fishing) is probably one of the most rewarding things I do, and I want to see them have the same opportunities I had, but I know that won't be the case - those days are past. Ultimately I'll have to adapt and hopefully will find that the public lands and open waters will provide me and my kids the waterfowling opportunities I've always enjoyed.

I've always, in the back of my mind, held fast to the premise that the state is going to support us no matter what, based purely on the revenue generated - but I'm not so certain about that any longer. We need more young hunters and young fisherman that are passionate about our sport and our resources and our environment, and more old sportsman that care about the legacy we are leaving. Unfortunately, in these days of instant gratification, I fear most kids will lose interest quickly. I'm raising three, and hope they all gain the same respect and love of our natural resources that I have. I'll do what I have to, to make sure they get every opportunity, and hope they will be the new stewards.

BOH as before you are telling it as it is but the other piece of the puzzle is will the kids change the way our activities are viewed by the majority of those who see these activities negatively.

I am sure the children as being bombarded in their schools with thinking that is anything but favorable towards the outdoorsmen. Like it or not this mentality is rampant among educators and they tend to reward those conform to the way they think. It becomes a social pressure sort of dilemma for children as to enjoy what their parents are showing them in the outdoors or to conform to the mindset of their peers which is at times artificially influenced by our educators.

I know this has a lot to do with the environment the schools are located in. Rural schools systems may tend to be less negative towards the outdoorsmen's ways but suburbia and the cities surely would be much more against these activities and the children have to feel this pressure.

When I was a child growing up in Baltimore County MD and Manchester MO there was no or extremely little negativity about the outdoor sports. Every kid had bow's, bb guns, and fishing rods. It was one of our major activities and areas of conversation. Look around today and the kids have video games. I live maybe a mile from a county park with a lake. This park has many communities within walking distance from it and a half decent fishery. Sad thing is I see barely any children utilizing this location. In my day it would of been crowded all throughout the summer, spring, and fall.

Something has changed more deeper than just lack of exposure to the outdoor sports......

Jim - I'll bet that lack of exposure has more to do with it than you imagine. Not that I'm telling you anything we aren't all aware of, but it wasn;t that long ago that kids were not "plugged in". There was no DS, no X-box, no internet, and 4 or 5 channels on the TV. We had to go outside, and had to make our own entertainment. It was easy to get permission to hunt and fish, and sports did not occupy a 10 year old's entire fall. Baseball and football is 4 solid nights a week, and game day is just that - all freaking day...for kids that are under 10??? It seemed there was more balance when I was a kid - time for sports, time for hunting and fishing, time for family, and time for friends - now it's a constant rush - and I've got used to it unfortunately.

River Runner has it right - the opportunities are out there, you just need to work a little harder to find them, and maybe that's not a bad thing. Ultimately though, there are pleny of people that don't want us in the woods or on the beaches, and the fact that we essentially pay for the Parks is just an inconvenient fact that gets buried in the arguments against us.

The best thing we can do is take a kid with us and keep them involved. I'm getting my NRA instructor cert next year in hopes of starting a trap team when my kid hits high school, and see how much interest the community has. I know a couple schools my way have fishing clubs. I think the parents need to get involved in helping these types of things get established. In the meantime, I'm gonna need to make a resolution this year to get the hell out of this office and spend as much time as I can with the kids, in the woods or on the water.

It does suck about the Timonium show though...that was the first show I ever went to - bought my 1st outfit there, a Fenwick one piece 5 ft lunker stick with a south-bend spinning reel for 14bucks. That rig provided me a lot of memories.

Tight lines and safe hunting. BOH

^^^^ Susquehanna Tackle ?????? Best river shop within 100 miles. You do go there ? All things change with the times. Things flourish, things wane, then come back or some one comes up with a better idea. Local shops, unless they fill a niche, will never come back. Then again, I can get every conceivable thing I need for both fishing and hunting over the internet and usually at a better price.....the better idea. The only thing missing is the personal touch. I try to support the locals even if it costs more but unless "they fill a niche" due to location, product, or customer service they are doomed. I will miss Tomoniun, but will see you at the Eastern Sports Expo in the boat section. Adapt or perish, the way it's always been.

Its only 15 minutes down the road. Thats where I get most of my stuff since the shop in town doesn't know what he is doing.