Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swans500

OBX/Hatteras Question....

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi...I know guys from this forum go away and fish the Outer banks at various times. I usually come to Delmarva in later March (as well as several times in summer/fall) but it is a fruitless exersise for surf or inlet fishing there in very early spring. I have never fished further south at all and am wondering if there is any chance of any kind of action down Hatteras way by mid to late March? Or do I have to simply go as far south as possible to throw off the Western PA cabin fever I will be suffering by then????

TY,

Dennis...

All depends upon the wind. That time of year if you get some sustained south wind the fishing can be excellent. If it's blowing north you'll probably find nothing but spinies and skates.

You want to fish the south facing beaches. Those from Cape Point to Hatteras Village. Or better yet Ockracoke. Depending on water temps you could get blowtoads, kingfish, bluefish, maybe some trout and puppy drum. If you get enough south wind to push surf temps up to around 60 you could get a drum bite.

Again, that early is VERY iffy. I watch the wind forecast. If I see four or five days of south wind predicted I go. If not, I stay home.

Thanks Plug, good info, and, as suspected...rather "iffy"...but that would be the case nearly all the way to Florida I would think, depending on how severe or not the winter goes....

All depends upon the wind. That time of year if you get some sustained south wind the fishing can be excellent. If it's blowing north you'll probably find nothing but spinies and skates.

You want to fish the south facing beaches. Those from Cape Point to Hatteras Village. Or better yet Ockracoke. Depending on water temps you could get blowtoads, kingfish, bluefish, maybe some trout and puppy drum. If you get enough south wind to push surf temps up to around 60 you could get a drum bite.

Again, that early is VERY iffy. I watch the wind forecast. If I see four or five days of south wind predicted I go. If not, I stay home.

Plug, How do you monitor wind forcasts????

http://forecast.weather.gov/afm/PointClick.php?lat=35.07159307658134&lon=-76.00204467773437

It goes out 6 days. If you want to change the location drag the map around by locking on it with your mouse, find your place then click on it to switch to it.

Others go out further but I never found a really extended forecast to be very reliable for Hatt./Oc.

Like I said before, you really can't advance plan March fishing. You watch the forecast and Rutgers (but Rutgers can change fast) and be ready to go on quick notice. Unless you're happy freezing your butt off and catching horndogs.

Well Plug...you were spot on! Just got back from 10 days on Ocracoke....water temps got up to near 70 and I had the best bluefish and kingfish action ever! Most days the blues were virtually every cast and around that 15" mark. Plenty of nice sized Southern Kingfish every day as well...the odd croaker and spiny....

Had no SUV so fished the northern half of the island with absolutely no other fishermen in sight on any day!!!! Great spot!....left the fish still biting on nearly every occasion which was twice a day. Excellent early remedy after a Pittsburgh winter....

Good deal! Glad you had fun and fish. March on Ocracoke is sweet. If you haven't, please contribute toward the fight to keep the Cape Hatteras National Seashore beaches accessible so we can continue to enjoy late winter by fishing in 70* water.

You can get more info about the battle to keep the beaches open and how you can help at WWW.OBPA.ORG