Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sufrangler

bucktail distance

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Throwing a bucktail is a two sided technique. Yes, distant is good to cover more water column and for penetration but if you are like me who fishes strategic spots then distant doesn't really matter. Now, in Montauk is a different story because there will be days where you will have fish right at your feet and other days you will need to sling it out there. Here in NJ I fish BT's in the rivers, canal, and outfront of the swwep on specific jetties. If there is any good info you can get from fishing a BT the info would be changing your casting up from different distances. Start long, then medium, them in close. As for a trailer like a curly tail...they are okay because they do have serious action but I prefer pork rinds because they give off a good scent and they are a little tougher. If using rinds, crush the barbs which you should do anyways on any lure and the rinds will come on and off a lot easier. Good Luck

I fish at rock walls and jetties too but it is just like you mentioned sometimes they are really close sometimes not . In India pork rinds are difficult to find . i want to rid it with paddle tail soft plastic for vibration when the water is murky . I just wanted to know if 2oz buck tail will cast like a 2oz spoon.

thankyou for your reply

I fish at rock walls and jetties too but it is just like you mentioned sometimes they are really close sometimes not . In India pork rinds are difficult to find . i want to rid it with paddle tail soft plastic for vibration when the water is murky . I just wanted to know if 2oz buck tail will cast like a 2oz spoon.

thankyou for your reply

I get pretty good distance on a 2oz bucktail with a curly tail - maybe slightly less than a Kastmaster or a Roberts Ranger. You ought to be able to get your BT out there far enough...

Throwing a bucktail is a two sided technique. Yes, distant is good to cover more water column and for penetration but if you are like me who fishes strategic spots then distant doesn't really matter. Now, in Montauk is a different story because there will be days where you will have fish right at your feet and other days you will need to sling it out there. Here in NJ I fish BT's in the rivers, canal, and outfront of the swwep on specific jetties. If there is any good info you can get from fishing a BT the info would be changing your casting up from different distances. Start long, then medium, them in close. As for a trailer like a curly tail...they are okay because they do have serious action but I prefer pork rinds because they give off a good scent and they are a little tougher. If using rinds, crush the barbs which you should do anyways on any lure and the rinds will come on and off a lot easier. Good Luck

Not only the rinds will come off easier by crushing the barbs, the fish will come unbuttoned too many times for comfort.

Not only the rinds will come off easier by crushing the barbs, the fish will come unbuttoned too many times for comfort.

Never had a problem with a rind coming off nor a striper. It's easier to change the rind if you have the barbs crushed. I would like to see someone change a rind on a rock in the middle of the ocean with no hassle including barbs.....not gonna happen.

There's no way a 2oz BT will outcast a tin... I prefer the curly tail over the pork for extra distance when needed. The pork will ocassionally helicopter if you don't use a split tailed version.

I would like to see someone change a rind on a rock in the middle of the ocean with no hassle including barbs.....not gonna happen.

Turning the rind (grabbing the tail end of it) & sliding it down & off the hook (on the opposite side of the barb) is the way I've always taken them off with zero effort & zero problems even on my rock with the lights off, no lights needed, barb crushing not necessary.

If you're using a rind that is designed for a smaller hook like a 57s, and you're trying to put it on a 4 oz buc, the slots in the smaller 57s rind will be smaller while the barb on the larger buc's hook will usually be bigger (save spro's) so there's a little "mismatch" there. with that scenario i could see someone having some difficulty but even then, it only takes a little extra wiggling. (been there, done it)

It may just take you some practice to get it down, its really not that difficult.

Best regards..............................

There's no way a 2oz BT will outcast a tin... I prefer the curly tail over the pork for extra distance when needed. The pork will ocassionally helicopter if you don't use a split tailed version.

I agree with the tin out casting the buc but a trick i learned long ago to improve buc distance was to cut a 70-s lengthwise down the middle & pop a new hole in the end, cuts down wind resistance dramatically, flys straight on the cast & still offers a big profile with (IMO) much better flutter then any rubber tail can offer.

thank you guys i am thinking of fishing these 2oz buck-tails from the shore . I was thinking of rigging then with standard soft plastic paddle-tail 6 inch long

my question is that if I retrieve it at the speed shown in this video will the bucktail maintain depth or will it go deeper?

I have found that using a swing-tail bucktail like Uncle Josh or Blue Frog of the same weight usually out casts the fixed hook versions. If I need the extra distance I usually switch to swing-hook.

Where I fish the tailwaters of a dam on the Ohio river I can usually get about 75 yards using a 2 1/2 oz. bucktail sometimes with a 3" twister tail,with a little help from the wind can get a 100 sometimes.Others can constantly at least 125 yards.Distance is important at times as the striper-hybrids are way out.sometimes they can be caught with a 10 yard cast using a short rod and 1/2 oz jig and can use as large twister tail.The reason I use a 2 1/2 oz. is after testing in the field behind my house my rig will throw it farther than any other size.

Jake