Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hotfishgirl

Some info on circle hooks

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I like to use bait in many occasions.I make my own hook set ups(barrel swivels,stronger mono or wire,hook,and sleeves). The first thing i noticed was the hooks were expensive,almost a dollar a piece.Maybe i should be buying in bulk?The second thing is i do not have too much experience using these.Do i let the fish run much longer then set the hook?Am i supposed to use these hooks with sea worms?How will the worm stay on?The hooks also seem thick.Do they make a thinner circle hook?Am i supposed to just throw out the sack of new hooks i already have?I noticed that stores can still sell the other hooks,how is this possible?Is this circle hook law just our state?

Sorry for all the questions but i hate loosing fish and i hate change.

I like the mustard demon ultra fine wire circles in 10/0.......Make sure you use a inline circle...........Yes they cost about a buck a piece..........I do not know why circles cost 4 times as much as j hooks...........

.....Is this circle hook law just our state?

I'm not sure it is law.............yet.

They had hearings for mandated circle hooks and yo-yoing some time in Nov with final comments due sometime in early Dec. 2011.

Not aware of anything else at this point.

IMO...the best way to fish circle hooks is with Bait runner reel's.let the fish run and then just start reeling the hook set's it self.if you set the hook as you would a J hook it will never set you will just pull it wright out of the fishes mouth.:)

I use 8/0 Gamakatzu In-Line Octopus circle hooks. They have them at a lot of West Marine/Sports Authority stores and they don't cost that much.

I''ve landed sharks up around 100 lb. with the hooks and hooked Sting Rays that were probably over that weight (had to cut the line- I wasn't going to take a chance on getting stung). You just let the fish run with the bait then engage the reel and start reeling. The hook slides to the corner of the fishes mouth and hooks it. A couple of times I got excited and accidentally tried to set the hook as I usually do and hooked the fish too deep.

I think the key as bigstriper sez is to resist the impulse to do a hard hook set, because it will likely pull out. This is a hard habit to break and it takes practice. But you want to reel up steadily to allow the circle hook to set naturally in the corner of the mouth. If done right, you should never gut hook the fish.

-bd

I've used nothing but circle hooks for 10 years with bait. that includes livelined macks and pogies, chunks, worms, clams, etc.

The key is to let the fish set the hook. If you fish the beach with bait, simply let the fish take the bait and bring the line tight. Fish on.

I rarely miss a hookup and almost always in the corner of the mouth.

I see no reason to use a j hook.

IMO...the best way to fish circle hooks is with Bait runner reel's.let the fish run and then just start reeling the hook set's it self.if you set the hook as you would a J hook it will never set you will just pull it wright out of the fishes mouth.:)

this definitely the best way to fish them or u could use a reel that has a reverse lever and fish it like a baitrunner. u just have pay attention to what you are doing or else u will have more then u bargained for.

i recommend and older style shimano baitrun reel...

I fish chunk all the time. I have used circle hooks and missed strikes. I know i did this or that wrong but i waited longer and set the hook quicker but just had no confidence in them. One outing after missig several strikes i went back to the campground and started looking at my leaders. I grabbed the hook in my clinched fist and pulled the hook right thru my hand without sticking! That was enough for me. I cut them all off my leaders and retied j hooks on and I am never going back.....I hope

On a side note I asked around and nobody wanted these circles couldnt even give them away. All the years of chunkers and they all use J hooks

Let the fish run with the bait just like you would with a regular J hook, but instead of setting the hook, just apply a steady pressure by reeling, the hook should set itself in the corner of the fishes jaw... If you try to set the hook by attempting to break your rod in half, or crossing the fishes eyes, it will usually result in a lost fish.

They've been using Circle hooks down south for tarpon for a long time now, look up some videos on youtube and pick up their techniques.

I went bunker chunking for bluefish with Stripercrazy. We used Eagle Claw red circles, probably 8/0 or 10/0. We had the rods in spikes. When the rods started to dance, we would simply walk over, flip the clutch lever and start to reel. We landed at least 20 blues, all hooked in the corner of the mouth. I don't remember missing any, but it was years ago and memory is fogged. I won't chunk with anything but a circle.

I'm still skeptical about circles and live eels, but I'm willing to give it a shot.