Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jesus805

Best 8'-9' rod for throwing 1 to 4 ounce ??

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I just ordered a Mojo 9' 3/4-4oz on the reviews I found here. Let you know when I get it and how it fishes. Have two other Mojos and have had great experiences with St Croix fresh and saltwater gear.

The GLoomis IMX Surf 3/4-5oz 8ft 10 1pc is tops. I've owned the Mojo 9ft 3/4-5 (its a good rod) but the Loomis is better. Most versatile rod I own. I throw 1oz bucktails with it and its great for that, but the thing could turn a tugboat if it had to and I throw 5oz pikes on it too.

I have the Mojo 8' which is the largest 1 piece factory rod I could find now that UPS etc. have shipping restrictions. All the major rod manufacturers have switched to 2 piece blanks starting with the 9 footers and on up. I stay away from the 2 piece blanks if at all possible. The mojo 8' excels at bombers and lighter stuff but can still throw 2+ oz. plugs very well. 4 ounces would be more of a lob and out of the 8 footers comfort zone. The 9' - 2 piece mojo will throw down to 1oz. and is rated up to 4 (if 2 piece is your thing).Mojos aren't known for soft tips but I would think the softer the tip the more this might effect the ability to throw heavy.

I have the Mojo 8' which is the largest 1 piece factory rod I could find now that UPS etc. have shipping restrictions. All the major rod manufacturers have switched to 2 piece blanks starting with the 9 footers and on up. I stay away from the 2 piece blanks if at all possible. The mojo 8' excels at bombers and lighter stuff but can still throw 2+ oz. plugs very well. 4 ounces would be more of a lob and out of the 8 footers comfort zone. The 9' - 2 piece mojo will throw down to 1oz. and is rated up to 4 (if 2 piece is your thing).Mojos aren't known for soft tips but I would think the softer the tip the more this might effect the ability to throw heavy.

The newer 2 piece rods are fine, only owning 1 piece sticks was gospel for decades, replaced by technology about 10 or so years ago.

The newer 2 piece rods are fine, only owning 1 piece sticks was gospel for decades, replaced by technology about 10 or so years ago.

While I agree technology has made great strides I have not met a 2 piece yet (I have a 10'6' mojo) that equals a 1 piece in all of its benefits over the 2 piece version. The Mojo & Legends have experienced breakage that I suspect has been effected by the piecing. I'm not a physics major but I cannot see how it would be possible to have an arc be as strong and sensitive with a joint in it as a solid 1 piece is, no matter what technology is applied. As you said there has been great advances and the Mojo's 60/40 split is so much better than the old std. 50/50 designs but still not equal in my eyes. I've said for years: There are 2 kinds of 2 piece rods. Those that slip and turn or those that are stuck forever!

whats a good rod, light and a really soft tip

...Mojo...

...Mojo...

...Mojo...mojo...

Are you guys nuts?

:squid:

whats a good rod, light and a really soft tip

...Mojo...mojo...

Are you guys nuts?

:squid:

Ummmmm....no, but a 8-9' foot rod that would throw 4 ounces with a "really soft tip" sounds a little nutty.

Looking for an 8-9' rod to pair with a 2500-4500 size reel...

whats a good rod, light and a really soft tip? 

Line class maybe 8-25lb

lmk what' u guys think?

What sort of fishing are you going to be doing?

Is casting distance or rod sensitivity more important?

What are you going to be throwing - lures (type), bait.....?

What kind of line - braid, mono...?

How often will you need to throw 1oz. versus how often will you need to throw 4oz.?

No 8-9 foot rod will do both very well - its will either have trouble loading with 1oz. or be overloaded with 4oz. If it can throw 4oz. it probably won't have a very soft tip and won't fish small lures well. If it can throw 1oz. well you probably won't be able to really lay into a cast with 4oz. If you're fishing bait and only occasionally need to lob 4oz. and not very far then you can probably get away with a lighter rod that will give you the soft tip and sensitivity you need to fish the lighter weights more effectively. But, if you really need to cast 4oz. regularly and hard then you're going to give up something on the low end, no matter what.

Ummmmm....no, but a 8-9' foot rod that would throw 4 ounces with a "really soft tip" sounds a little nutty.

nutty like a soft-tipped 9' Mojo? ;)

nutty like a soft-tipped 9' Mojo? ;)

:laugh: Fair enough, you got me there! In my defense, its like asking for a sports car that will handle driving over the sand dunes well.

You might want to look into the St.Croix Legend 9' rated 3/4 -4oz if having a softer tip is important.. I can tell you that you really don't have to lay into your cast to achive pretty good distance for a 9'er on the high or low end of the lure rating and it works a 1oz lure perfectly and will even throw and work say around 3oz for you if needed...

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIGHT STRIKES View Post

You might want to look into the St.Croix Legend 9' rated 3/4 -4oz if having a softer tip is important.. I can tell you that you really don't have to lay into your cast to achive pretty good distance for a 9'er on the high or low end of the lure rating and it works a 1oz lure perfectly and will even throw and work say around 3oz for you if needed...

Steve

I agree with Steve about the 9' Legend it's a real nice rod for 1-3 oz.