Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R.R. Bridge Fisher

computer problem

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this is the right forum but I have the black screen of death on my computer :mad: :mad:

Anybody know what to do :confused:

Please dont say reformat I am sooo not ready for that need help

If everything has electricity and all the devices are turn on...

First of all, check ur VGA or DVI or HDMI cable from ur PC to monitor, if it is alright, do not worry go to next step.

Secondly, disconnect the VGA or DVI or HDMI cable from the PC to see whether the monitor sends some message such as DVI, VGA checking..

If it does, ur monitor is fine. Then it might be the video card or video card on motherboard issues.

If you have both VGA or DVI ports (or any two of them) from your motherboard or video card, try to reconnect to different ports to see whether it shows up or not, if not, there is so many issues will get involved such as Power supplier, video card broken or something else.

Let me know if you need more information.

Does the computer boot at all? (do you see the POST when booting?)

If so, when does the failure occur, during OS startup?

If the computer is totally dead I'd suggest pulling everything but the PSU, CPU and 1 piece of RAM from the MoBo, if it's still stone dead swap the RAM.

Still dead? Time to try another PSU, if you have one laying around or could borrow. With just the CPU and RAM you should be able to boot, you'll see the POST (if so configured). Nothing else though.

If you're not comfy doing too much inside you might be better off having somebody else having a look.

Not much info to go on, but if I had to start somewhere I'd go with the power supply which has a mean life expectancy of 1/5 that of the solid state components used on circuit boards. The drive would also be suspect but since you say you have a black screen and not blue, the HD would be my next choice. 

computer boots, gadgets are on the right dide of the desktop,bottom toolbar shows,all desktop icons are gone,cursor moves but does not open anything

never had this happen before?

RR

Gadgets tell me you have Vista or Win7.

Sounds like something is effed in the startup of the OS.

Try starting in safe mode and doing a clean shutdown. If the pc starts up correctly after doing that then Yay!

If not then a simple guess is that something in the OS is corrupt, or dare I say it, a virus. Been a very bad 2 weeks for some very nasty virus's. So far I have had to save three pc's that were infected behind a firewall while running 3 different anti-virus programs.

(one was beat with Norton, another with McAfee and the third Kaspersky) the caveat is that they were all XP boxes though.

If you want some offline help shoot me a PM and maybe we can try some stuff on the phone this evening.

What OS is it running?

After checking Layer 1 (physical connections) possible issue's, I would try and boot into safe mode using the F8 key whilst your computer restarts.

If that does work, open up a command prompt---->start--->run--->type in cmd--->make sure it says c: ----> then type in chkdsk /f It will say "cannot unmount drive, do you want to run on next reboot", type in Y then hit enter, then close out or type in exit to close command prompt and reboot.

Been a very bad 2 weeks for some very nasty virus's. So far I have had to save three pc's that were infected behind a firewall while running 3 different anti-virus programs.

(one was beat with Norton, another with McAfee and the third Kaspersky) the caveat is that they were all XP boxes though.

Tell me about it.......in the last two weeks, 2 got thru both Kaspersky and AVG (Donna's frigging astrology and nutrition websites :dismay: ) .....luckily I caught them and was able to eliminate them before they got too far by using Malware Bytes or finding them myself to clean them.

Kaspersky and sometimes AVG DOES catch them and gives me an alert, but for some reason does not stop them. This is using Vista.

No Heuristic detection at all...that sucks!

I've seen that with just the Anti--Virus engine only installed, fortunately I sold my place on the need for the whole Internet Security Suite. Hopefully that's still enough! :)

Gadgets tell me you have Vista or Win7.

Sounds like something is effed in the startup of the OS.

Try starting in safe mode and doing a clean shutdown. If the pc starts up correctly after doing that then Yay!

If not then a simple guess is that something in the OS is corrupt, or dare I say it, a virus. Been a very bad 2 weeks for some very nasty virus's. So far I have had to save three pc's that were infected behind a firewall while running 3 different anti-virus programs.

If you want some offline help shoot me a PM and maybe we can try some stuff on the phone this evening.

computer boots, gadgets are on the right dide of the desktop,bottom toolbar shows,all desktop icons are gone,cursor moves but does not open anything

never had this happen before?

RR

What do you mean cursor moves but does not open anything? Are you able to run programs from the start button on the bottom tool bar? There is only one location where the icons are stored.

Could u please check ur desktop resolution first? and tell us what u have done? 

The following is my suggestions if ur PC is in the worst condition:

Anti virus. But anti virus will never 100% fix the issues.

I reckon you need to back up important files first in case u might lost everything. Go to ur user folder to see whether your desktop icons are there or not. 

The path is: C:Usersur usernameDesktop

For blue screen, it has mainly issue with memory. 

If u installed the 'bee' device on ur motherboard, then it will have a 'Bee' which tells u it is booting. (Now days, this small device is removed from a lot of new motherboards )

Save mode is a good way to get onto the OS and try to fix the issue. 

Check the Event log please, under the Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsAdministrative ToolsEvent Viewer, then it will might have the errors messages under windows log and etc. If u do not mind, print the screen shot and let us have a look. 

If u cannot click ur mouse, please just use keyboard. 

Please also let us know, when was ur the latest installation if u had, or what had u done before the crash. 

For the other fix, buy a new hard drive, reinstall the OS, then set ur old HD to be a backup/second device :)

Staples will diagnose your PC for $50.00. Generally besides failures of the hard drive or power supply.

The two culprits that can be addressed are viruses and dust. You can usually take care of dust yourself,

and if you have an intel processor then your monitor may not work quite right if you PC is not booting up.

So, take off the cover of your CPU and clean out all that dust, I use a vacuum clearner.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out!