Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Fisherman

A Steelhead Soft-Hackle: the Orange Blossom

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Mike Brooks is an Oregon-based tier who values the use of natural materials that move and breathe in the water. What a coincidence -- so do I. I've tied a few Mike's patterns, many of which are adaptations of traditional Atlantic Salmon dressings. They are all beautiful flies, and they will surely catch Great Lakes steelhead. Says Mike of the Orange Blossom, "This is my favorite bright fly. I fish it deep on a short leader during winter and early spring." This pattern took far too long for me to tie than I'm comfortable with for a fly I will likely donate to the bottom, but there is always the hope that a hungry mouth will find it first. Wish I was going to be fishing it tomorrow.

Orange Blossom

IMGP1030.JPG

Hook: Atlantic Salmon (this is a 6)

Tag: Fine oval silver tinsel and yellow floss

Tail: Golden pheasant crest

Butt: Black ostrich

Body: Rear third flat silver tinsel, front two-thirds bright yellow angora goat, palmered with bright yellow saddle. Rib entire body with medium oval tinsel, five turns.

Wing: Woodchuck guard hairs

Cheeks: Jungle cock (optional)

Collar: Hot orange hackle slightly longer than yellow hackle

No thread color was speced, so I used hot orange. Black would be nice, too.

Nice tie as always Steve.

I just booked a flight last week and will be in Oregon from 9/4-9-20. I'll be glad to toss some of these to verify their effectiveness. Never been to the Northwest. I'm looking forward to it. Not surprised it looks like a shrimp. The little research I have done states that shrimp are used by the bait guys.

Thanks all. Be nice to swing in the spring, too.

Brooks has a couple other flies that are incredibly shrimpy. Will tie those up and post them...and fish them this spring for sipping stripers. :-)

This pattern took far too long for me to tie than I'm comfortable with for a fly I will likely donate to the bottom,

Yup. I lost it three casts in. I guess I need another one. :-)