Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe G

Canal shutdown

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Just happened to scope up the Cape Cod Times.

Apparently the canal was closed shortly after 0900 for four hours this AM due to a pair of right whales that travelled through from west to east.

I can confirm this. :th: A friend of my wife attempted to walk the service road this AM and was told it was closed due to the right whales.

Unless she was in possesion of a harpoon while walking the canal, I can't imagine why on earth they would close it to foot traffic?:confused:

I can confirm this. :th: A friend of my wife attempted to walk the service road this AM and was told it was closed due to the right whales.

Unless she was in possesion of a harpoon while walking the canal, I can't imagine why on earth they would close it to foot traffic?:confused:

I was able to bike the entire length of the mainland side shortly before noon. The Canal was closed to boat traffic, with patrol boats at each end, but there were dozens of people walking, biking, roller blading, jogging, etc. on the road.

There were also fish breaking right off Pips. I'm serious. Looked like small pollock, or maybe sea herring. :th:

HOLY Mackerel! We must have just missed the whales going through!

At just abou 10:00 or so, we made our way down to our UDL lobstering spot and noticed there was a canal patrol boat just idling there... as we walked down onto the service road. it slowly cruised East .

We even had a gaggle of kids tagging along with us who would have been thrilled to see that!

Saw the patrol boat idling and wondered what was up also. Not too often they are a drift sideways in the canal.

1st ride down that way since July:( Love to be on the canal in the winter.