Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Learning the craft - whether you never built a rod orbuild professionally

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

In addition to The NERBs Gatherings I have scheduled for the next 6 weeks, I will be conducting 1 on 1 build "classes" for anyone wanting to learn the craft. Whether you never built a rod, or you want to learn Decorative Wraps - or anything in between > the learning curve will be drastically reduced in a 1 on 1 setting.

NERBs Gatherings are scheduled for the next 6 weeks with 8 events in the North East.

January 7 Staten Island - Open to all skill levels

January 14 Staten Island - novice/beginner (feaured topics: SnakeSkin, Marbling & Abalone)

January 15 Staten Island - advanced (feaured topics: SnakeSkin, Marbling & Abalone)

January 16 (MLK Day) Staten Island - never built a rod (will be a class format where I build a rod and explain every step in detail)

January 28 Tabernacle, NJ - Open to all skill levels

February 4 Staten Island - Grip Gathering (will spend the entire day discussing grip inlays)

February 5 Staten Island - novice/beginner

February 11 Leominster, Mass

Here is what I’m thinking with the classes. I’m going to charge the same thing as it would cost for me to build a rod for you. SO if you wanted to build an Inshore Lite with Alconite guides, it will be $350. If oyuwanted to learn Dec Wraps like a Spider or St john’s Cross, $175. If a regular diamond/chevron - $60. If upgrade to better guides $xyz. Make sense? I haven’t really thought about this too much, I put it out there to see what people thought about it. I willnot be doing a “classroom style” class. I’ll teach how to figure out what blank youwant for the fishing you are doing, how to modify it, diff in materials, etc – basicallyallthe same things I go over at the gatherings, but you can put it all together with me watching/instructing.

I've heard nothing but horror stories from some of the classes people have taken. THey come ot the gatherings and see how I do stuff, and how I explain how to do this or that and I always hear I wish you did the class instead of xyz. And I can do all levels of instructions, if you just wanted to learn Dec WRaps, I'll do that, it will be the regular price I charge on a wrap. I figure it's muchbetter doing it this way becuase f I charge $50 an hour likemost 1 on 1's do, it could take 6 or 7 hours for someone to "get it".

I dunno, what do you guys think about that approach?

Hey Billy40 Happy New Year

First thanks for all you do for the rod building forum on SOL you do some incredible and amazing rod building and I have enjoyed your work for the past 4yrs on sol and other sites.

Will the one in Leominster be for begginers? Becouse I would leave the island to see your seminar

Ive been dying to build a rod for myself for yrs but never found the time So for 2012 I have found the time just built this wrapper last week and I stripped down a old blank and Im just gonna wrap old used eyes. No epoxy just gonna take them of and keep rewrapping till I get it. Then move on to next steps mabye build one by next summer but needs lots of practice and any help I can get to learn this.

So this is my start my homade wrapper Thanks Billy

Chuck

[img=a><a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2702128/width/600/height/338' alt='338'>

Anyone interested or thinking of building a rod should not miss one of these gatherings...The info and hands on stuff from Billy is overwhelming ( your brain will hurt by end of day )....Plus the info and tricks from other nerbs that show up...Know matter what skill level you are at, their is always something to learn their......

Chuck, thank you!! GLad to help out, even though I didn't know I was, lol. Leominster will be an open gathering, and topics will be whatever you want to learn about. We tried doing one in November and had 14 people on the list so there will be a lot of room to discuss a wide range of topics. nice job on the wrapper, one of the topics I'm going to be adding to some of the gatherings was "how it all began", and will talk about the first rods, first wrappers some of the more experianced guys started out using. Quite often peole come into my shop and see all the machinery and get overwhelmed, but they don't realize I started out making my wrapper and thread tensioner just like everyone else.

Thank you Harry, hopefully you'll have time to come out to a few gatherings this year. In addition to all th einfo, the attendees (and host) know how to have fun and laugh, so it's a really enjoyable day in teh middle of the winter with nothing else to do.

E-mail me xlrods@yahoo.com, no PM's, I forget to check all the time. 9AM start, 609 hunter ave zip 10306. Will have more info in the next day as the gathering fills up and people tell me the topics they want to hear about. So far it's Dec WRaps, sanding grips, selecting a Blackfish blank.

SI Gathering this Saturday - 12 builders attending, still room for more!! Topics so far:

Dec Wraps

Blank & Guide selection for surf & Blackfish

Guide Spacing - various methods

Sanding grips