Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Newby in Ogunqu

Father/Son Newby Info Needed

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Good morning, everyone, and Happy New Year.

We recently bought a place in Ogunuit and are eagerly looking forward to the summer.  I'm under a bit of pressure, though, as my 13-year-old wants me to take him fishing in the worst way.  Candidly, I can't think of a better way to spend time with him, so in that regard I might be even more excited about it than he is....

We have a stream/river fishing background:  Bass, trout, catfish, carp, and the occaisional pike.  We've also been out deep sea fishing hitting the Sailfish pretty hard.  I'm trying to find a place (bridge, surf, pier, ???) where we can go and catch some fish.  Don't have to be big fish, or even many of them.  Something so that he and I can have some fun and bond a bit while we're at it.  You get the picture.  Three questions:

1)  Where to go?

2)  When to go?

3)  What to fish with & how?

These are the greenest of the green questions, I know.  And I'm NOT asking about anybody's secret spots.  Just looking for some pointers to get us started, thats all.

Regards

greg

First off, Welcome to the site!

There's a wealth of "How To" info on here. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have on this.

As to when... you can probably do OK during the spring if you fish during the day, but the best fishing for stripers is at night.

There are a lot of good spots in your location. I won't "spot burn" publicly here, but I will PM you once you have enough posts to receive them. Get out and explore this time of year. Scout out areas at low tide, so you can see the structure and where the current is flowing. Make notes and put them to use when the fish arrive.

The 3 basics to remember are:

Bait

Current

Structure

If you find these, you should find fish.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Hi Greg,

First welcome to the forum, spend some time reading up on the old posts and you will get a lot of tips all over Surftalk. I fish the Saco bay area, so any easy to get to spots in your area I wouldn't know well. However, there are a few things to look for that apply all up and down the coast.

First, access. There are lots of beaches you can fish from, but be sure to know the rules for each beach. There are a number of rivers that have acces on them near the ocean. Some have special rules, so be sure to check them out. Lastly, there are places where you can fish from ledges along the shore, and also jetties that are popular. A good bet would be to start at a local tackle shop, there's plenty of those and they all love seeing you walk through the door, ready to stock up for a season's fishing.

The nice thing is, stripers are fairly easy to catch if you put the time in, learn the tides and places to be, by going out on a regular basis, and scouting around your area to find areas with good structure, moving water, and stuff like that.

Lastly, that's great you're looking to spend time with your family... the kids will learn so much more from time outside and being on or near the water, than they can ever learn from a video game. Good for you, man!! Enjoy it.

Hi Greg,

Let's get back on this around May or June. I fish Wells & Ogunquit most of the summer. There are some great fishermen in the area and the best thing I can do for you is help you meet one or two of them. Not that it's all that difficult. The ones I know are very helpful and will always give you a tip or two if you ask nicely and are respectful of their space.

I'm "away" till at least the end of April. Away is where I'm from in fact. You must be from Away as well since you say you just bought in Ogunquit. One of the nice things about Southern Maine is that a large part of the population is from the same place we are from. There are still a few locals left but they have had to deal with us for so long now that most have learned to speak our language.

Make it down to Portsmouth in June and I'll load you up beyond belief. Fly rod a speciality (but bring a beefy 9wt, because these fish are BIG). Warning: I start each trip around 1am because I get out off work at 12:30. We move on from there but the fish are plentiful and every night there are dozens and dozens and dozens. You also have to swear not to bring another living soul to these spots - I have had them to myself and a few select souls for twenty years.

DontTreadOnAnyone has the best advice. I'll add a few things. Don't even try it anytime between 10:00 Am and 5:00 PM. Too many people everywhere. If you find a small open space somewhere, I can guarantee a swimmer will pick that exact place to take a dip. I've learned that early AM and evenings are the only times to fish. You can also try the bridge leading onto the beach. The best times are about from 2 hours after low for the next 3 hours. Again, it can get crowded up there. This past year wasn't quite as bad for some reason.

Welcome to town.