Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJ

The Joke Is On The NT TIMES

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

The Joke Is On The NT TIMES NY Post Editorial 1/2/2012

The Greenie supporters fumble the true facts again! The NYT is starting to look a lot like PETA!:D

Never one to pass up a good redneck joke, The New York Times last week happily heaped scorn on the scraped-knuckle roughnecks who make a (good) living extracting energy from Pennsylvania shale rock — and their less-well-off upstate New York neighbors.

To wit:

HORSEHEADS, N.Y. — At the Glamour and Glow boutique in the local mall here, crystal necklaces and fake fur vests have been hot-ticket items the last year.

When the drilling workers head home between long stretches of work in this gas-rich region, explained Christy Spreng, the [Chemung County] shop’s owner, they need gifts for their wives and girlfriends. “They know what they want,” she said. “They’ll say: 'Looks good. Wrap it up.’ ”

Would the Times ever so condescend to folks who cash government checks for a living? Of course not. But never mind. Those who read beyond the initial ridicule found a story that — however inadvertently — underscored the indisputable fact that natural-gas extraction by hydraulic fracturing will be a financial boon to the economically ravaged Southern Tier.

In fact, it already is — albeit indirectly. Local Chemung County businesses are reporting surging sales. Hotels are booked solid for months at a time. The county airport is adding flights and looking to build a new runway. And that’s without any fracking.

All the action is on the Pennsylvania side of the border, where fracking — the process by which natural gas is extracted by blasting rock with high-pressure water and chemicals — is both legal and flourishing. And it turns out that even tiny Chemung — whose biggest city is Elmira — is a metropolis compared to sleepy Pennsylvania.

So the neighboring gas workers come to Chemung to spend money. “Places are jammed,” crowed an obviously thrilled County Executive Thomas Santulli. At least half of Chemung’s tax-revenue growth is directly attributable to fracking in Pennsylvania. Home two dozen companies — providing more than 1,000 jobs — have leased or bought more than a million square feet of commercial space in anticipation of future drilling in the high-gas region.

Again, that’s without any fracking under way in New York. Just think how Chemung’s success could be replicated across the Southern Tier. But fracking’s future here remains uncertain at best: The green lobby, backed by allies within the state Department of Environmental Conservation, will be damned if it’ll allow such a thing in New York.

Gov. Cuomo appears favorably disposed toward fracking — at the very least, he’s not openly opposed to it — and the results of an environmental study of the practice that he ordered are expected soon. But, again, opponents are throwing up one roadblock after another, apparently hoping to inflict death by a thousand cuts.

Yet New York remains in desperate need of the economic shot in the arm that fracking would provide. And it needs the energy, too. As one gas worker told the Times: “[Opponents] want to know why we’re up here drilling. I say, because you like to heat your home.” Time to end the delays and speed up the approval process — now.

And that’s no joke.

Your comments on the pro's and cons and the untruths the Greeniebaggers are putting out are requested.

I've seen the Environmental reports that the State of Pennasylvania has signed off on to allow this deep gas shale activity to go forward with enthuseiasm. How say you?

NYS Governor Cuomo is, IMHO, eyeing & gearing up for a Presidential run in 2016. He has to get on the right side of this NG extraction controversy before the election. I predict he'll go for it, as it is one of the ways in which he appears to be 'moderate' on issues nationally. He'll have to throw NY's eco-whackos under the bus to do so. Good for him.

Boy, just once I'd like to see these Green Eco-Nazis propose some viable energy alternatives, rather than being constantly consistent naysayers. Devolving, and shivering in the stone age dark, is not an alternative. :squid:

For one reason or another, I can't quit the NY Times...nothing like a quiet Sunday morning, a pot of Joe and the Sunday edition. Ultimately, the joke will be on the NY Times editorial board. Cuomo is an insider with sharp political elbows. He will always do what is right for his next race. Let the Times laugh at the rubes as its readership continues to dwindle. As long as I can get Sunday home delivery, I'm a happy man. :D

HORSEHEADS, N.Y

^^^

When will PxxA decry the town's name?

Remember their Fishkill N.Y. foolishness?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not prepared to sign off on fracking.

I don't know enough about the chemical composition of the fracking slurry (the hydraulic fluid mixture) to comment, but I figure if the stuff is a pollutant, as some have claimed, technologists and chemists can devise an acceptable substitute.

More problematic are the credible reports about the fracking process causing the release of trapped subterranean gases which when freed make their way into aquifers that supply drinking water.

If those reports are true, and the gas concentrations exceed reasonable safety standards, fracking technology will have to be modified to keep the gases out of the aquifers.

If needed, would the modifications be economically feasible?

Maybe not.

Can the gas be separated from the water supply by a filtering system installed in homes and buildings?

Or installed at the above-ground distribution source of a municipal water supply?

Those installations seem doable.

For one reason or another, I can't quit the NY Times...nothing like a quiet Sunday morning, a pot of Joe and the Sunday edition. Ultimately, the joke will be on the NY Times editorial board. Cuomo is an insider with sharp political elbows. He will always do what is right for his next race. Let the Times laugh at the rubes as its readership continues to dwindle. As long as I can get Sunday home delivery, I'm a happy man. :D

The NYT has always had excellent maps, (I live to see their after election maps. :clap: ), and there was a time when their stories and reporting were second to none. They covered world news that nobody else would cover. (No front page celebrity divorce garbage from them.) Sadly, they let their partisanship get in the way of objective news gathering, and you began to see their editorial positions reflected in their news stories. That spelled the beginning of the end, and has cost them dearly, and might eventually lead to the demise of their newspaper. :(

HORSEHEADS, N.Y

^^^

When will PxxA decry the town's name?

Remember their Fishkill N.Y. foolishness?

'Yep. The great unwashed eco-whackjobs can't fathom the fact that kill' in Dutch means creek.

We mustn't let politically correct expediency get in the way of the truth. :squid:..:kook:

[quote name="Roadrunner" url="/t/830296/the-joke-is-on-the-nt-times#post_8874354"

Boy, just once I'd like to see these Green Eco-Nazis propose some viable energy alternatives, rather than being constantly consistent naysayers. Devolving, and shivering in the stone age dark, is not an alternative. :squid:

From an unimpeachable source, I have heard, that some upper echelon Eco-Fanatics actually believe that restricting energy production will cause the great bulk of humanity to say to itself: We must and we will adjust our fertility downward.

Go Figure!

From an unimpeachable source, I have heard, that some upper echelon Eco-Fanatics actually believe that restricting energy production will cause the great bulk of humanity to say to itself: We must and we will adjust our fertility downward.

Go Figure!

It would not surprise me in the least. How L. Ron Hubbard of them. :kook: Human beings expel CO2 from their lungs. Hence, we, ourselves, are the enemy of Mother Gaia. Can Eco cleansing be far from the minds of extremist eco-kooks? Fortunately. most eco-Nazis haven't got the backbone God gave amoebas, but I'm sure they could find some third world mercenaries to do their dirty work. This is why these eco-idiots can never be put into positions of power. They would eventually morph into the eco-Pol Pots of our time. And I don't doubt it for a minute.

By adjusting fertility downward, you mean folks will freeze to death.

Those that manage to live will be in shape from all the walking we will be forced to do.

These ecotards want to live in an 17th century lifestyle with all the modern conveniences.

Without cheap energy, will they be able to recharge their Iphones?

It would not surprise me in the least. How L. Ron Hubbard of them. :kook: Human beings expel CO2 from their lungs. Hence, we, ourselves, are the enemy of Mother Gaia. Can Eco cleansing be far from the minds of extremist eco-kooks? Fortunately. most eco-Nazis haven't got the backbone God gave amoebas, but I'm sure they could find some third world mercenaries to do their dirty work. This is why these eco-idiots can never be put into positions of power. They would eventually morph into the eco-Pol Pots of our time. And I don't doubt it for a minute.

Um.......CO2? Explain?

When I was in Cooperstown ny recently for a baseball tournament my son was playing in every third house had a no fracking sign on its front lawn. Lets see how Cuomo deals with that.... Btw most of these houses were in need of repair in worst way....

By adjusting fertility downward, you mean folks will freeze to death.

Those that manage to live will be in shape from all the walking we will be forced to do.

These ecotards want to live in an 17th century lifestyle with all the modern conveniences.

Without cheap energy, will they be able to recharge their Iphones?

17th century would be modern times.

We would be best served living in the dark ages again, 12, 13, 14th century again.

'Yep. The great unwashed eco-whackjobs can't fathom the fact that kill' in Dutch means creek.

We mustn't let politically correct expediency get in the way of the truth. :squid:..:kook:

Litchum - Horseheads, NY is a small rural community located in the hills around Elmira, NY. My brother lived in Horseheads, NY and still owns the top of a good size hill there. Great Deer, Turkey and pheasant country. He love it. The local skeet field was a short stroll from his house and it was open every day but Monday.

Kevin was a great competive skeet shooter. he is still one of the best wing shots on quail, chucka and pheasant I know.

Here is a little local color.

The Politics is straight Republican Rural Conservative. Everybody owns a gun and most hunt in the woods and fields of this NY PA Border Town. Many of the tributaries that flow thru it end up in the Susquannah River just southwest of its sourse in central NY. Good County - Lots of Irish, German and italian stock with an above average of good looking women. Knowledgable wine enthuseiasts abound! ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the historic Village of Horseheads, gateway to the Finger Lakes and Upstate New York. Our Village offers a variety of shops, restaurants, hotels and recreational activities for residents and visitors. Experience soaring in a glider, a glass of wine at one our unique Finger Lakes Wineries, visit one our many museums that span art, history, famous people, and aviation, and other recreational activities, while staying in one of the fine hotel/motels in our Village. Experience “Family Days” in our parks in July; listen to an outdoor concert on Thursday nights in the Teal Park Bandstand during July and August. If you’re driving through to see the fall foliage, watch for “Harvest Festival” and “Chili and Chocolate Cook Off” in October and enjoy a street festival in historic Hanover Square. Don’t miss “Holly Days” after Thanksgiving, an old-fashioned seasonal event, that reminds us all of what this time of the year is for and about. We encourage you to visit, and welcome you all to be a part of our Village while you are here.

It sounds like Northwestern CT with a little more to do than fish the Housey! :D

Litchum - Horseheads, NY is a small rural community located in the hills around Elmira, NY. My brother lived in Horseheads, NY and still owns the top of a good size hill there. Great Deer, Turkey and pheasant country. He love it. The local skeet field was a short stroll from his house and it was open every day but Monday.

Kevin was a great competive skeet shooter. he is still one of the best wing shots on quail, chucka and pheasant I know.

:th: Horseheads is my kind of place. :th:

I didn't get upstate as much as I wanted to.

A relative had a place in - as I recall - Cherry Valley.

I think I visited them there ~ 1955.

I might have seen a wild porcupine there.