What do YOU do when your Nephew is a brat?

Rate this topic

almost sounds like he has a touch of autism

My BIL? Yes... Somethings not completely right with him!

I mentioned in another thread that my MIL (his mom) was taken to the hospital in heart failure (& not expected to live). (I've provided care for his mom in more ways that I care to discuss. Completely changed our lives to do it.) Well, when the ambulance left I contacted family members to prepare them. It took the burden off of my wife. Most asked me what should they do --- rush here from out of state? How can I tell them what to do? It's your mom! She's out of it and has been forever! She won't know if you are present or not. Eventually, when thinks settled down, my FIL said that it would be best if they waited. Most did. (Weeks later, my MIL is still breathing... iCU for over two weeks & may come home this week.) Well, this BIL flew up immediately... His choice... I can not blame him... Be there for dad... Make peace with mom... Although we told him that his kids were not permitted in the ICU (& it's just not safe... Infectious stuff!) he arrived in a tremendous flurry of activity! Kids in tow & a Priest also! Brought his own rent a priest! The nursing staff couldn't believe it... My BIL is saying go ahead & kiss Nana --- the kids are not and never have been comfortable with sick NaNa! They have known nothing else! She's scary to kids (me too!) She looked like a science project! Well, the kids are being pushed into the room -- the nurses are freaking and trying to stop everyone. Chaos! Then the Priest steps forward and my FIL was like "Who are you?" He didn't speak much English! This happened the Friday before Christmas and I still here about it every morning (& that fact that my SIL never once saw his wife, although she was at the hospital). It's like a soap opera!

So, yes... My BIL has something loose upstairs. (Oh... On Saturday, when they left... I had offered to drive them to the airport... Days before. I even offered to pay for a car!!!! Good investment! I had lent him my car for his stay up here --- 3 trips into the city... A drive to the countryside... Well, at Noon on Saturday, he shows up at the house. Thanks for the car! I had to ask, "where are the kids? Your wife?" He drove them to the airport that morning and dropped them off AND THEN RETURNED to drop off my car.............................:confused:

So, yes... My BIL has something loose upstairs. (Oh... On Saturday, when they left... I had offered to drive them to the airport... Days before. I even offered to pay for a car!!!! Good investment! I had lent him my car for his stay up here --- 3 trips into the city... A drive to the countryside... Well, at Noon on Saturday, he shows up at the house. Thanks for the car! I had to ask, "where are the kids? Your wife?" He drove them to the airport that morning and dropped them off AND THEN RETURNED to drop off my car.............................:confused:

With no gas in it too right?

Proud owner of a Tasmanian Blood-Fanged Death Hound

Your earlier joints/ounce question now makes perfect sense.

:v:

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

So my question probably should be --- what do I do about my brother in law?

Use the stick on him, and knock some sense into him. :squid:

You might want to ask him seriously if he thinks he is doing his son any favors by not disciplining him. Eventually, the little spit is going to grow up, and with a spitty attitude like that he's going to end up in jail, or worse.

Nip this spit in the bud now, before he gets any worse on subsequent visits. (I know it is convenient to shrug your shoulders, and say it's none of my business, but as long as this kid is interacting with you

& yours, it IS your business.)

"I think, that all right thinking people, are sick & tired of being told that they're sick & tired of being sick & tired. I, for one, am not. And I'm sick & tired of being told that I am."

I love a well thought out plan .

My sister has a couple of young boys that sounded similar to your nephew. They were loved at home however and got lots of attention from their parents and are turning out ok. A few years ago you didn't want them around, but we saw them the other day and it was fine. They are much better than one could have hoped for. I would encourage the parents to spend as much time as possible w their kids doing things and offer the parents hope cause surely they are discouraged too. I'm sure they feel guilty about both working especially the mother. It makes them very reluctant to discipline the kids. If the parents are decent people chances are the kids will eventually be too.

See you on the big one.

This is a good example of the negative impact the fall of the Boys Club has had on America.

When I was growing up a kid that acted stupid got his ass kicked, and didn't act stupid anymore.

The boys club used to make up for a lot of pu say parents.

Now it's a subsidized child care facility.

kick him in the ass.

I know your BS'ing around but....When I was coaching Baseball, my assistant Coach's son was screwing off in the dugout...11 years old.

He kicked him in the ass so hard the kid didn't get up for 5 minutes, I really thought he was hurt.

This guy was 6'2" 220 range and an athlete , kicked him like it was a freaking field goal...

Last day he ever coached..... In real life it wasn't funny..kinda sucked for everyone actually.

kick him in the ass.

I know your BS'ing around but....When I was coaching Baseball, my assistant Coach's son was screwing off in the dugout...11 years old.

He kicked him in the ass so hard the kid didn't get up for 5 minutes, I really thought he was hurt.

This guy was 6'2" 220 range and an athlete , kicked him like it was a freaking field goal...

Last day he ever coached..... In real life it wasn't funny..kinda sucked for everyone actually.

What a way to ruin the party!

When this kid was younger he wouldn't go to the bathroom in the house. It was fun to pee outside. But there was more --- he was told that bathrooms were dirty & so, he would go outside and pee. Even when he first started school he was at this haute private school and he would pee right outside the Head Masters office window. Even looked her right in the eye!

Can he behave? Sure. He takes karate and does well and listens to the instructor. If he doesn't, hes not perjured to spar. He told me that's he's been named Student of the Month at his elementary school. He gets good grades and favorable comments.

His parents drag him (& sister) all over the place, while they are working. He's at their office... Bored! They drag to meetings... Bored. Unprofessional, too. The dad does not physically play with him! (Bad back... Bach neck... His knee... Whatever it is today!)

When my kids were younger, we always had a way to entertain the kids --- in the car, at restaurants ... Little toys, drawing. My oldest kid still keeps a sketch pad in the car. I found little toys in a winter coat just last week. This kid? Never... He tortures his parents ... He seeks attention.

I have played with him for hours. He can be good. His parents have made him a little twitchy --- take him out for ice cream and he wants to throw the cone away once it dripped on his hand! :shock: He's got food issues --- directly as a result of his father (who doesn't eat anything outside of his house & that crap is inedible)

Last year, I bought hundreds of plastic Easter Eggs at the dollar store --- stuffed them with Herseys Kisses and other stuff. I hid them in the woods behind the house --- well, it started to rain... Nice warm rain. We all laughed and slipped and slid all over the hillside! He freaked! His sneakers were muddy! His pants dirty. This kid was no longer dressed in his Sunday best... He was dressed to play. Yet, he said his mother would kill him! This kid could not have fun due to the Mommy issue. It was only after we washed and dried his clothes (& sneakers) that he chilled out.

Freaky kid.... Smart as a whip, but twitchy. It's sad.

hate to say it, but there really is nothing you can do but set boundaries for when you're with him... essentially, giving him some idea of what appropriate social boundaries are... outside of that, send him home; don't mince words with mom and dad. Family issues will only be fully and effectively addressed if it's decided to be dealt with it as a family. I'm not even sure how effective calling child services or something similar would be, if you felt it ever got to that point...

sadly, the kid may be screwed... :(

If anyone may require dialysis or a kidney transplant, feel free to contact me via this site. I'll be happy to help you through whatever questions you have! :wave: