Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cortez The Killie Killer

What do YOU do when your Nephew is a brat?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

With the holidays came the relatives... Good and not so good. We were able to spend time with folks that we haven't seen in a couple of years --- much too long. My brother in laws 8 year old boy is simply out of control. He's rude, he's annoying, but he has the ability to act properly. Example: pick them up at airport... The kid is excited. OK. Hugs and kisses all around... High fives... Get in the car. His parents are talking and he talks, even shouts, over them! Little is done. Comments like "Be quite... Stop & This kid is annoying". He laughs. The family goes to a restaurant one night --- the kid orders using a"retarded" voice! :shock: His sister laughs... No one does anything (It will only provoke him, I was told) I spoke up. It just came out... Knock it off! And, you will appoligise to the waiter. His mother ASKED him to stop. On another occasion, at lunch, he demanded, "Hey, gimme a coke!" His father... "Oh, I'm sorry...". I told him to cancel the coke... No ice cream... Keep it up ---- no movie!

The weather was nice, so I took the kids for a hike... Six kids and Annie the Snow Dog! The younger ones wanted hiking sticks (both are 8 years old). Every one is having fun.. This kid is swinging his stick! Cool... Having fun... A kid will swing a stick. But, this kid gets wild. He said to me, "Remember that time when you took my stick away!" (He was 5.) I gave him fair warning ---- once. Then he nearly hits his sister. "Drop the stick, you are going home!" He whines! I left my oldest kid in the woods with the others (she knows these trails) and my 15 year old and I delivered the kid home. We returned to hiking. Later, his father showed up with the kid... Stick in hand.

So my question probably should be --- what do I do about my brother in law?

and my 2 nephews have overall been good through the years, when they aren't...I have no problem telling them to knock it the **** off

somewhat reminds me of when I was bartending, you want to be a dick in front of everyone you are opening yourself up to being made an ass of in public

btw, remove yourself from any public interaction with them, as in going to dinner at a restaurant

an ex's sister would bring her two kids out to white table cloth places and they were horrible

people going out expecting a nice dinner should not have to be subjected to that ****, and it made things very very uncomfortable

it was the last time I did it..you want to go to tgif and be an idiot, that's bad enough

going to a nice place and letting your kids run the place is ********

btw, remove yourself from any public interaction with them, as in going to dinner at a restaurant

an ex's sister would bring her two kids out to white table cloth places and they were horrible

people going out expecting a nice dinner should not have to be subjected to that ****, and it made things very very uncomfortable

it was the last time I did it..you want to go to tgif and be an idiot, that's bad enough

going to a nice place and letting your kids run the place is ********

There is nothing worse than going to a nice restaurant and having some kids ruin the experience.

There is nothing worse than going to a nice restaurant and having some kids ruin the experience.

Some Frisco restaurants have banned children below a certain age.

Kids will be kids so parents have to be ******* parents. It's that simple. Like a dog that goes all squirrelly when there isn't any leader in the pack/family, kids will do the same thing. Taking the kid home was absolutely the right move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post

Send them home. It's none of your business how they raise their kid.

^^

What he said.  There's nothing you can do about it and telling someone else how to raise his kids is a good way to ensure an epic family fight...unless you don't like the BIL and that's what you want.   I got a similar situation in my family.  Ultimately the kid will be a brat around his parents but will be better when left under the supervision of others once he realizes where the boundaries are with others.  There are obviously little to no boundaries with the parents, which is disgraceful.  But you can't stick your nose there.

say something to your brother in law, once- you dont like how he behaves and unless it stops you wont have it around your family type thing. I'm with Rav, even though its family, or maybe more importantly because its family, it isnt your place to say/do anything.

its too bad because 8 is too late...my grandmother used to say a kid is raised by 3, after that you cant make any "real" changes to them through parenting. Not sure I agree 100%, but there is some truth to it.....