No Easy Answers For New England's Cod Crisis

Rate this topic

soundbounder

We can all agree there is a difference between doing things right and doing the right thing,

When fisherman fish indiscriminately without regard for the impact that they have as a result of their actions then there will be an imbalance.

When trying to balance an environment by culling other creatures you create another imbalance somewhere else.

There is only so much pressure you can put on a natural and when too much pressure is applied it must be reduced to allow for balance to be regained.

By changing how fisherman fish reduces that pressure and maintains a viable resource without tweaking the ecosystem because when the issues are all boiled down you are left with the undeniable fact that the environment was already in balance until we began exploiting it personal(Corporate) reasons .Being too efficient has a negative impact without checks and balances. If we don't change how we fish there will be no fish to fish for. There would be no need to make laws if the environment was in balance.

I would be the last person to take a someone's livelihood away but I can't stand by and let them ruin it for future generations because of an inability to change from a process that is not working for the environment.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. Thomas Jefferson

I would be the last person to take a someone's livelihood away but I can't stand by and let them ruin it for future generations

There it is. From what I've read, I can't seperate the science from the politics, the truth from the spin. Suck if the few guys left fishing had to get a job on the beach and it turned out the "scientists" were just working an agenda, but theres also the whole bison/passenger pigeon thing.

There it is. From what I've read, I can't seperate the science from the politics, the truth from the spin. Suck if the few guys left fishing had to get a job on the beach and it turned out the "scientists" were just working an agenda, but theres also the whole bison/passenger pigeon thing.

If you are going to quote someone at please keep it in context. No offence to you NewCut but it is a complete statement and I want to be clear what I am advocating,

I would be the last person to take a someone's livelihood away but I can't stand by and let them ruin it for future generations because of an inability to change from a process that is not working for the environment.

We need to change how we do things. I'm not saying there should be no commercial fishing. My point is if fisherman can't fish responsibly they shouldn't, and I defy any commercial fisherman to defend a system that harms their own future. If your own actions are a detriment your own livelihood why would you continue? Is moderation not better?

If any industry or action contradicts common sense then it should not be allowed to continue. It is intellectually dishonest to think only of yourself and not what impact you have on others.

I have a major problem with what I know is flawed data used by the government to prevent us from fishing, but no one would be in this situation if there was a little more constraint on both the fisherman/public/corporation and the government perhaps everything would be in balance. Government is slow to enact anything except to increase taxes on the working man and to take our rights away from us. Fisherman need more representation and a willingness to fish differently as to not negatively impact the environment they rely on. But I guess as long as everyone is lining their pockets to hell with the resource because we can shift gears and exploit another resource. That makes a lot of sense.

What is the agenda? You means the one where environmentalists are trying to keep us from fishing? I hope you are not taking about me . I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories. Anyone who knows me would tell you I am no tree hugger. I love tooling on my boat, driving my Yukon XL, I loved fishing for all my life and still do, I want my kids to have it too if they want, its a right I refuse to give up because of a narrow-minded attitude towards thinking differently about how to do something. But I guess the residents of Easter Island hasn't taught some of us something about wasting a natural resource.

It is a known fact the fishery world wide has declined because we have become more efficient at harvesting the resource.

There will always be a fishery if we take care of it, but there is a lack of cooperation on both sides of the issue it is lost.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. Thomas Jefferson

A Lot of tub trawlers gave up because of the gillnetters. Same price for soft fish.

A lot of the laws are written by desk jockeys with political ties .

If we had less dogfish we might have a few more small Cod making it.

If we had a few less grey seals we might have a few larger fish making it.

If we had more diversity in fish catches we might have a healthier planet

Just a thought.

If people didn't vacuum every cod in sight, there would be more to keep the dogfish in check. If we had more cod, the seals wouldn't affect population numbers. And the desk jockeys don't go out in boats with electronics that can count sand grains on the bottom and hoover up every possible fish.

We can literally take every last fish out of the water today. Unless the 'desk jockeys' stop them, the fishermen will be happy to do so. After all,they have boat payments to make.

There are no fish in the Canal. In fact, there is no Canal.

I guess my point is that I'm not sure who is right here. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence (mine included) to suggest that the cod fishing is as good as its been in a while, that it all of sudden hasn't got lights out,that maybe those guys ( the scientists who made the tows in question) just dont know how to run that new boat ,and fish that new gear just yet. If I were supporting my family by fishing on them I would have no problem believing that the stock was healthy enough to fish on. On the other hand if I were the person charged with seeing that the stocks increased, based on the data collected,I would have no problem believing the stocks were in serious trouble. 64 dollar question is whose "reality" is correct.As far as a solution, I would liken the situation to a bank account....if you are not sure how much is left...you shouldnt be making too many withdrawals until you figure it out. As far as context, I meant to agree with you.....and admired your point of view.....and although I kill a few of the fish I'm lucky enough to stumble across, and I hunt, which ocasionally ends up with some dead stuff, I sort of actually consider myself an "environmentalist" albeit not a rabid activist one ,and am guessing most passionate outdoorsman do also.....kind of sorry if I offended you......

I guess my point is that I'm not sure who is right here. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence (mine included) to suggest that the cod fishing is as good as its been in a while, that it all of sudden hasn't got lights out,that maybe those guys ( the scientists who made the tows in question) just dont know how to run that new boat ,and fish that new gear just yet. If I were supporting my family by fishing on them I would have no problem believing that the stock was healthy enough to fish on. On the other hand if I were the person charged with seeing that the stocks increased, based on the data collected,I would have no problem believing the stocks were in serious trouble. 64 dollar question is whose "reality" is correct.As far as a solution, I would liken the situation to a bank account....if you are not sure how much is left...you shouldnt be making too many withdrawals until you figure it out. As far as context, I meant to agree with you.....and admired your point of view.....and although I kill a few of the fish I'm lucky enough to stumble across, and I hunt, which ocasionally ends up with some dead stuff, I sort of actually consider myself an "environmentalist" albeit not a rabid activist one ,and am guessing most passionate outdoorsman do also.....kind of sorry if I offended you......

We are very much alike and couldn't agree with you more. Tight Lines! :p