Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnycakes

ENOUGH ALREADY!

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

First and foremost I love SOL and have learned alot here but there are a few common mindsets that have become ridiculous and enough already!

Fishing Clubs are not the anti Christ. I will say they are not for everyone but if you don't know what they're about, stop labeling them. They do far more good than most realize.

]Cell Phones We all have em. If you don't wanna call a friend and share the fun,DON'T. Sometimes it seems it is only the people who don't get a call that complain.There is far more damage done to spot burns by fishing websites like this one. Info put out on a cell phone only reaches the person you intended to not the countless masses of report chasers.that scour the Internet for reports [/b].

I guess this rant is my way of saying it is officially winter . :o Discuss

A typical club member...I don't carry a cell phone and there are others I know...don't label club members.. is a kind of two bad jokes in a single post...Most club members live by the cell phone screwing up the fun to the few who worked hard to find the fish....but since it is a new year, I am just going to..:laugh: instead of...:upck:....See you on the bench in the spring...

Funny how you start with "typical club member" and in the same sentence sayI "I know..don't label "and The simple fact that we don't agree is a good sign that at least some of what I said makes sense.

I suggest you re read the fishing club and cell phone one again. Pay extra attention to "the ones who don't get calls are the ones complaining"

FWIW I have never called a fellow club member to a bite in my life. I have called a friend though. Easy to pick it apart from the outside I suppose,especially those who have no Idea how things actually are.

First and foremost I love SOL and have learned alot here but there are a few common mindsets that have become ridiculous and enough already!

catch and release.I am all for it. I take only a fish or two over the coarse of the year and release hundreds. That being said I have no issue with others who take the legal amount to eat. That is their right and choice,not yours.

Boat fish Count. Catch em any way you want and don't judge others who choose differently.

Fishing Clubs are not the anti Christ. I will say they are not for everyone but if you don't know what they're about, stop labeling them. They do far more good than most realize.

Product loyalty We are all glad you love your water proof reel or custom rod but THEY ALL FAIL when used improperly or not maintained. Use what you like and let others do the same.

Poachers Yes they should be fined but many guys take it to ridiculous levels. They are not terrorists,rapists or murders. Lets keep it in perspective people. BTW they are from everywhere not just third world countries and some even speak English.

Cell Phones We all have em. If you don't wanna call a friend and share the fun,DON'T. Sometimes it seems it is only the people who don't get a call that complain.There is far more damage done to spot burns by fishing websites like this one. Info put out on a cell phone only reaches the person you intended to not the countless masses of report chasers.that scour the Internet for reports .

I guess this rant is my way of saying it is officially winter . :o Discuss

You mad brah? :shaky:

Nah. Little hung over, kinda bored and possibly in need of some more roughage in my diet.

Just officially kicken off the winter banter I guess. :D

I look forward to running into Johnny Cakes and his friends on the beach. When the hordes line beach in the spring, drooling over fun sized bass and casting everywhere, I feel comfortable that I will not get hooked.

In essence it is often more enjoyable to fish shoulder to shoulder with some groups than it is to fish with 10-20 yards between people.

O and boat fish don’t count…lol…

I look forward to running into Johnny Cakes and his friends on the beach. When the hordes line beach in the spring, drooling over fun sized bass and casting everywhere, I feel comfortable that I will not get hooked.

In essence it is often more enjoyable to fish shoulder to shoulder with some groups than it is to fish with 10-20 yards between people.

O and boat fish don’t count…lol…

I so agree jay. Truth be told I enjoy the camrority almost as much as the fishing. What is better than sharing a great day with your good friends. Ball breakin and bailing biggens.

I realized a long time ago that fishing shoulder to shoulder with people who know what they are doing and are comfortable in tight quarters is much better than being 20 yards away frm a guy who crosses you every other cast. I cannot control the crowds but often I can chose which one to be in. That is as good as it gets sometimes.

BTW you do know yak fish are boat fish right? :D

Yeah! Anyone can catch a fish from a kayak..... I prefer the challenge of sitting half-conscious on a white bucket waiting for hours for some lazy lethargic bass with cataracts and an astigmatism to accidently stumble upon my crab-eaten mushy pile of clambrella remnants... It's soooo much more exciting!

BTW, dead on with your OP... Happy Winter!

Yeah! Anyone can catch a fish from a kayak..... I prefer the challenge of sitting half-conscious on a white bucket waiting for hours for some lazy lethargic bass with cataracts and an astigmatism to accidently stumble upon my crab-eaten mushy pile of clambrella remnants... It's soooo much more exciting!

Funnie post^^^^^ can I add the the constant disrespect for the bait fisherman? Hey it's my rant right?

I agree with most of the points made here, except about boat fishing. No disrespect to boat fisherman, but it is just a completely different sport that has nothing in common with surf fishing. As far as cell phones go, they are here to stay and complaining about them is useless. I personally don't use a cell phone as a fishing tool, but just once I'd like to see someone from these forums say "when I see a blitz erupting, I usually call some friends" I really don't have a big problem with it, but if you believed what you read in these forums, nobody even owns a cell phone. Maybe fisherman are clairvoyant and instinctively know when and where a blitz is happening.

You know every sport has their divisions between participants. Hunting, fishing, golf, you name it.

Of course preserving the spirit of fair chase is a no brainer and poaching or illegally taking game or fish is a nogo. As for the boat/beach argument, both are fishing. Nothing wrong about either. Cell phones? None of my friends surf fish so I never get the calls to get in on the next blitz down the beach.

agreed…and that is why I hung out with you degenerates in the surf instead of dragging the kayak out with the knuckle heads that don’t have the respect to at least fish the outside of a pod.

But it is fun jigging doormats off of pilings or out at the rock piles when the surf is loaded with napkins.

Everything in life can have blind luck, but I would say that bait fishing can be just as technical as anything else. Don’t expect to land a big momma sitting on a bucket…odds are the bait fisherman who get the biggins move around quite a bit and fish specific tides or currents just like everyone else that has consistency.

I am just not a fan of the group that spikes rods covering 30 yards of beach. I do however enjoy watching 4 out of 5 rods get pulled into the sand when the blues come past. I get more pleasure when 4 out of 5 rods get pulled into the surf in the summer when the rays are running.

carry on….

~Jason

Here's one more to add to your list.  If you catch a couple of nice stripers and they're not 40+lbs, please do not go to your local bait and tackle shop to weigh/video tape your catch.  I know that personal bests are different for everyone, but seriously, a 10lb bass weigh-in (I'm guilty of watching this crap also)?  I don't care if it's your first striper ever.  Enjoy your catch and if you want to be recognized online or in public, go do something worth while like saving a cat from a tree.  Better yet, take a picture of your trophy 40+lb bass or PB, release it and let everyone know that you did by posting it on here.  You'll really upset the bait and tackle shops who depend on anglers coming in to weigh and take pictures of their catches so that they can post on their website and create a frenzy at the beach.   

You'll really upset the bait and tackle shops who depend on anglers coming in to weigh and take pictures of their catches so that they can post on their website and create a frenzy at the beach.   

huh?

You'll really upset the bait and tackle shops who depend on anglers coming in to weigh and take pictures of their catches so that they can post on their website and create a frenzy at the beach.   

huh?

I believe he is referring to a b+t shop in OC that likes to promote their business by posting the locations down to the specific beach and jetty or sandbar and making videos.

Ha!!!! Hilarious man......I remember nights like that lol