Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MattyS.I

Albies?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Is it possible that I saw False Albacore while fishing the South Shore of Staten Island this morning? I heard a splash and saw the white water where the fish broke approximately 100 yds. off of the shoreline. A few seconds later, I heard a second splash and saw the tail of the fish that had broke the water approximately 75 yds. away. The angle of the fish was straight down, as if it was coming down after completely clearing the surface of the water. The tail looked like an albie, although it wasn't totally clear from that distance. I suppose that it could have been a bluefish, but it seemed like classic albie behavior, and it appeared like a single fish.

I tried to cast a hopkins shorty at the splash, but the weed killed my efforts.

By the way, no stripers hit my plugs this morning either.

Matt

Matty...it's extremely unlikely that it was an albie...they won't even be a thought in the back of our minds here till August at the earliest! It was likely a razor lipped blue fish and should be avoided at all costs! wink.gif

Welcome to the board!

TimS

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. It's good to be here. I guess that was an overzealous bluefish (is there any other kind?). Wishful thinking on my part.

Matt

Could that have been Skipjacks? Last year we had some schools of big Skipjacks up here in June. Some caught went to 27" . They can easily be mistaken for a Bonito or Albie. I thought they were Bonito for months after till I found out the difference. redface.gif

I'd have to say Tim was correct Matty.Those bastards are all over,I caught 5 last night at Seguine with one 27 inch bass.Have caught bass down there last 5 times out chunking bunker,but they've been nailing them on plugs also.Good to see you on this board instead of other one,You'll see a big difference immediately.Going again tonight,can't stop till I get skunked.

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"

Matty,

Have you checked out this springfling thing?A few of us from SI are going,and its sure to be fun.

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"

Actually, RhodyRed makes a good point. There were SkipJacks out by Romer Shoal last May, but more towards the end of the month. It was unusual then, why not be unusual now? MAtt, did you see those little finlet looking things along the tail?

Keep in mind that a 20# black drum was caught off of Cliffwood Beach 4 weeks ago--stranger things have happened.

John D

------------------

2 wekends ago, I saw what I would have labeled an Albie come flying out of the water. It was too far away to identify, and since I figured it was early for Albies, I assumed it was a bluefish. I swear I saw a brownish shade to it, maybe it was a sealion.

If I remember correctly it was early June. That's why I figured it could be possible for them to be close by N.Y. now. A few weeks or more those buggers will probably be up here again so if it wasn't them they might pass by there soon.

KDOGG,

The fling sounds great, but I can't commit to any weekend until the actual weekend is upon us due to the fact that I have a brand-new business and a 10 month old son! Let me know how you make out. Have you been in the Harbor lately? Lots of Bunker there last Wednesday along with some blues and BASS. Hope to see you out there!

Rhody, John D & Stuu,

I can't say for sure if the tail had little finlets on it. Do Skipjacks go ballistic like Albies? The sound of the water, the splash and the angle of the tail going into the water (straight down) all indicated to me that the fish was completely airborne. I only wish that I'd seen the entire fish (instead of nervously trying to attach my tin to my line, I got so excited at the idea of a surf-caught Albie). The fish wasn't too close to me. It looked like a tuna-ish shape, but I can't be positive. Whatever it was, I'll be on the lookout for it next time (unless the Stripers are hitting, then I'll have tunnel-vision). Thanks for all of the posts.

Matt

My luck at the harbor has been bad almost everytime out there.Every time I go there I get the skunk.Been getting bass down by princess bay every time out,and always at night.Congrats on the boy,my son is 23 months and I got him saying striper already.Maybe in a few years they'll be throwin plugs together.What kind of business you have?And good luck with it.

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"

Matty,

Yes, Skipjack have the same musculature(although somewhat slimmer) as albies, and are often seen going airborne feeding on spearing(which I understand has moved into the bay). All common sense tells me it was a bluefish, but, at least in my experience, my common snese is not applicable to fishing frown.gif

Another lawyer on the board? great that's all we need..... wink.gif

Just kidding--I just passed the NJ & NY Bar this past summer(still haven't taken the trek up to Albany to get sworn in for NY)

saltline1@aol.com

John D.

------------------

KDOGG,

I have not had much at the harbor this year either, but the bunker that I saw last week will keep me going back (the fact that I live only blocks away from there helps also). Sounds like your boy (KPUPP?) is off on the right foot, the next generation of Stripermen has arrived!

John D,

Yes, I am a lawyer. Funny that you should mention common sense and fishing, because common sense and the law don't always mix well either. It now seems to me that this might have been a bluefish, although I'm not giving up on the skipjack idea. I have seen bluefish go airborne, but I'm not convinced that this was a bluefish tail (but it was pretty far away, so it could have been).

Matt

Lived on Whitman Ave. for 23 years,now in Heartland Village and it sucks not being near the harbor anymore,maybe nextime I'll buy a house near the sea.I have witnessed 20 pounders off of the bulkhead as early as April 1st this year.Ran into a man last night he says there killing them the first two hours of outgoing at the mouth.

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"

KDOGG,

The mouth of the Harbor during the beginning of the outgoing sure makes sense. I'll bet they're fishing bunker chunks there. Did your source report any action on artificials there?

It sure is nice to live so close to GK Park. I grew up in the area, fishing from the "sand bar" at the mouth and at Crooke's Point for fluke, flounder and blues as a kid (wasn't much talk back about stripers). After getting married, we moved to an apartment in Rosebank. We recently moved back, and I'm fishing more. Incidently, Penny Beach and those East Shore points have the reputation of producing some good bass. Ask Patty Scags. I still prefer the South Shore.

Matty