Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rick M

Possibly moving...looking for info

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hi guys (and gals :) )

I'm looking for a little input / advice.

My son is going to graduate college this May, and he has been offered a job in Crescent City, CA. I did a Google search on the area, and it seems like there is a lot to do for the outdoor adventurer. We're mainly wondering if it's a good placed to live?...as far as accessability, things to do (other than surf, which is one of the reasons he looked out there), and general way of life. He'll be moving a long way from home ( Saco, ME. ) without checking the area out personally. He has about a week and a half to decide, so he asked me to put out some feelers.

One thing I did find out is that the stripers show up there a few times a year...so I know when I'll plan my trips out there :D

Thanks,

Rick (for Brian)

Rick,

Cresent City is right on the boarder of Oregon and California. Your smack in the middle of some of the most beautiful country in the world. It is small town USA as a coastal town. You'll have trout, steelhead, salmon and yes stripers within your reach. I would not even blink to have the chance to live there.

let us know when he gets out here.

As long as he has a job it would be a great place to live. If no job then it would be a different situation. There is no industry to speak of other than timber and fishing and those are not doing so well and the future doesn't look too good either.

Thanks for the good / not-so-good input :p

I think that he's decided that he's gonna do it. He figures that he's still young, and can always head back East if he doesn't like it out there (but I doubt it - he found out about the good surfing there).

I hope that if he does decide to come back east...he waits long enough for me to go out to visit... and catch both East coast & West coast stripers in one season :D

Rick can't speak about the surfing That far up North, except he'll learn about wetsuits and water temps. The water temps up North will be colder than here in the San Francisco area. But at least he can drive towards the San Francisco Bay area and find good surfing down here. My two oldest surf and my second son actually works in a surf shop and is a surf instructor. He is going to love it up there in the redwoods and the laid back attitude up there.

If he has any needs or questions let him know he has "family " down this way..

There is a Run of "Stripers" in the Umpqua River near Reedsport,Oregon. Its not a big run but its better than no run. He may want to check that out.

I jest "google" it and the State Record is 68 Lb. in 1973 by Beyl Bless.

STRIPED BASS FISHING

striped_bass_stripe1.jpg

Oregon Striped Bass fishing is very good if you know the right Oregon Striped Bass fishing guides ......... and now you do! Todd Hannah offers guides fishing trips for Striped Bass on the Umpqua river and the Smith River. Striped Bass are present in the Umpqua and Smith rivers the entire year. They are one of the hardest fighting fish in the river, but also one of the most difficult to locate and catch. Late March through May are considered the best months for catching stripers as they tend to school and feed heavily as they prepare to spawn. Casting or trolling with large plugs, plunking with a variety of baits or fishing live bait under a bobber are all techniques we use to catch the stripers. Our striped bass average between ten and 20 pounds with a chance at catching a fish weighing more than 30 pounds. A Smith River Striped Bass weighing more than 64 pounds still holds the world record for stripers caught while fly fishing.

ess

The mighty Smith River ther only inflowing river in the state(flows from the pacific inward) it is also the fastest clearing river in the state(if your a salmon or steelhead fisherman during the rains it clears up in hours compared to others like the russian which takes from 10 days to two weeks to clear) ;)

That place is tsunami central. Lol but true. Crescent city is tsunami zone but they have had 1 bad one and the one last spring over the last 60+ years. Plenty of warning time these days but not many US locations can you have tsunami discussion.

If he has a job and is young there is no reason he should second guess the opportunity. If he fell on his face you can wire him $250 for gas to drive home. I pulled out of my drive way inWinston Salem NC 16 years an 6 days ago to move to California. My 2 year plan didn't include meeting a girl, falling in love, marriage and 2 beautiful baby girls but it all happens and I'm still in CA. So you might not get him back east.

If he likes living in a Small town Environment and doesn't mind living Hours away from a decent size city to do things most young guys do Crescent City won't be a good place for him to Live he'll get bored real fast. Keep in Mind the closet Major Airport

is at least 6 hours away. Yeah the Outdoors up there is Awesome But the reality is He's a long ways away from having access to What most kids take for granted.

The mighty Smith River ther only inflowing river in the state(flows from the pacific inward) it is also the fastest clearing river in the state(if your a salmon or steelhead fisherman during the rains it clears up in hours compared to others like the russian which takes from 10 days to two weeks to clear) ;)

....."Flows from the Pacific INWARD"!!!????.....PLEASE CHECK YOUR MEDICATION!!!!....& if you are not on any....YOU SHOULD BE!!!!!......Mark

Diddo, On That. Every time i have been on the river, its goes down-hill.

The Eel river is one of the very few rivers that flows "South to North".....YET!!...upon reaching the Pacific....the river flows....OUTWARD!!!...into the sea....Must be some "Weird" gravitational pull where Dan lives......Mark

....."Flows from the Pacific INWARD"!!!????.....PLEASE CHECK YOUR MEDICATION!!!!....& if you are not on any....YOU SHOULD BE!!!!!......Mark

Well since you put this on here I decided to post a map of the smith and pay attention to what is north and south plus the direction east down and to the east until it turns upward heading towards Oregon ;)700