Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRT

Fishing a crab fly?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I've tied up a few crab flies for the Cape next season and wondered how folks fish them? Is it a case of casting well ahead of a fish and then twitching it when its close?

Also anyone fish crabs in the surf - if so what's the strategy there?

Thanks

JRT

Starting to think I need to invest/ buy a lotto ticket...I just tied up a few crabs myself last week, and looks to me that I'm on the right track, bout a quarter or slightly bigger in size.

Herb, a single exception .......... when fishing a mole crab (sand bug) a single twitch when the striper is 3 or 4 feet and swimming towards the pattern. Dave Skok's Mole Crab and it's cousin the baby flounder need a little twitch. Then flared red gills, a sand cloud and "Fish ON!"

Happy 2012.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRT View Post

Thanks chaps. I think these look ok but they don't have much action. They are 1 inch across the shell and 1 inch long on size 2/0 hooks so I'm thinking a bit large?

The hooks are a little too big.  Try a size 1 Eagle Claw 413.  Great Hook!!  I also use that hook for Clouserssmile.gif.

I have had some luck on the dead swing with just a floating style crab, just a piece of fuzzy velcro and some feather tips for legs nothing fancy. fish it right on the surface, do nothing

Some crabs are active swimmers hence the "swim fins" on some species, like the blue claw and lady crabs. At night they can be scooped off the top of the water with a light so a bass swimming below would be interested in a swimming crab. In areas where the water is covering a flat crabs scurry from one safe haven to the next and lay low if there are predators present. I watched a guy strip a crab fly in quickly and it was slammed every time.....go figure? Sight fishing means flats type fishing and the crabs stays still when approached by the predator, a small twitch to create a little movement then sit still. In a small creek that feeds the bay a floating crab could make great sense as mentioned above, I've done well with a Crease Crab in Peconic Bay outflows. Around a jetty have the crab wash in and out of pockets, keep a tight line for the hit you may have to strip slowly to keep it in the zone. It really boils down to where you are fishing and the crabs in that area.

Very nice fly Salty. I like the long hackle appliction. Thanks for the peek. Happy and successful 2012 to all and a good time on a flat with gin clear water.

The blue claw crab was posted before and made mostly of saddle hackle of different sizes and colors. Mono eyes and I stripped a few old feathers for feelers......some lead in the rear for sinking.