Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drc

belize fishing

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Better choices for a pure fishing trip, imo, but the general vibe and snorkeling cannot be beat. Belize sits inside the Barrier Reef (second largest in the world) and so does not have much in the way of shore fishing or any beaches. You have to go offshore to the keys for snorkeling and fishing and some of those have no shore fishing to speak of either but it can be done.

Where are you going to be in Belize?

Better choices for a pure fishing trip, imo, but the general vibe and snorkeling cannot be beat. Belize sits inside the Barrier Reef (second largest in the world) and so does not have much in the way of shore fishing or any beaches. You have to go offshore to the keys for snorkeling and fishing and some of those have no shore fishing to speak of either but it can be done.

Where are you going to be in Belize?

If we go it wiil be the Banyan Bay resort on Ambergris Caye.

Ambergris is the most "touristed" Caye (key) and reportedly has good Bone and Permit fishing in season (I have not fished it). I stayed on Caye Caulker south of there which does have a little shore fishing morning and evenings in a channel cut by a hurricane on the north end. Small Jacks and Mangrove Snappas hang out in that spot.

There are reputable guides on Ambergris as it is well known for flats fishing, but I am sorry I have no specific experience to relate.

When are you going?

Went & Stayed at Turneffe Flats. Fished for Bones,Permit & Tarpon.. No luck with the Tarpon to cold & none around ( The water not the weather! )

Lots of bones & one nice 35 lb permit. Great lodge,Food & Guides. I stayed a week. Not Cheap though you can see the lodge if you google them. The also have a great dive program to the Dlack Hole. 2nd best dive area in the world.

Caye Caulker is well worth a night or two if you can make it. Nothing saying to can't bounce from one caye to the next. Caulker is one of the best shore spots I saw in that region. The split at the North end is good in the morning but best at night after the bars close. The key is to scale up. Small spoons will catch small snapper and jacks but magic swimmers and storms catch tarpon and snook! Some nights there sounded like meteors were falling into the water because there were so many big fish out there. The are red snapper in the 5-6lb range that come through in the EARLY morning. The stick to the shore line and you'll see them feeding. Watch the small needle fish, when they start getting nervous then the tarpon are out to play. Clark Spoons for these would be recommended.BTW when I say scale up I mean the gear too. We had a ton of bite offs from huge barracuda on 50lb leader. Also, there are a bunch of places to rent kayaks and I highly recommend this. I never had enough money to hire a guide but the kayak was a lot of fun. Most kayaks that they rent I could stand on and makes stalking bones a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Good Luck

I had a close cousin there , and now have many relatives, none of which I know. He did fishing there, all right, but with the pole in his pants. A REAL WHOREMONGER ! Sorry I can't suggest my relatives as guides.

FF'd Turneffe atoll at Little Caye Bokel and stayed at the Turneffe Island Resort. Since I dive as well this was the best choice and I couldn't imagine a better place to do both. Miles of atoll and mangroves. Got all three (bones, permit & tarpon). For large sea life, I've never seen anything like it, Hammerheads, whales, porpoise as well as all other tropical reef life. Not cheap but what a place ;) .

We are leaving on Feb 3rd! Staying in Punta Gorda for a few days before heading to Ambergris and then Caye Caulker. We'll definately hit up the channel at the split, thanks! I guess we should get some metal leader (bluefish rigs) or something for the Cudas...

Has anyone been down south and fished the Moho river?