Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheSpaniard

Kipto Thurs-Frfi report

4 posts in this topic

Well, we decided to make the run to Kipto the past couple of days. Never fishing Kipto before we had some learning to do. I did not realize how close the concrete ships are to shore. If the fish are on those ships it's pretty dam close to shore to catch a big fish.... However, the fish didn't seem to be around the ships at all.

On Thurs we got on the water around 8am and had the tide a bit confused. We paddled out away from the ships into deeper water while the water was slacked out. We trolled around for a while heading up the bay towards Plantation Light. We were out by the many boats but not exactly in with them. Once the water started to move a bit we dropped down some eels. Within 2 seconds from hitting bottom I had a hit on my eel and then within another 10 seconds another hit on my bobber rod. Reeling up, what a surprise but a big spiny dogfish. Other rod same result. I look over at my brother as he drops down a storm shad and instantly hooks up and up comes a 22" striper. Not bad I am thinking when his bobber rod goes under. This time up comes a 38" striper. I've caught my share of fish around 38-40 before but man this fish had some shoulders to it. So we get our eel rods reset but we had drifted off that deeper water. At that point I looked at the shore and realized we had drifted really far up the bay. Not wanting to end up too far north we tried peddling back down the bay but after 45 mins of barely getting anywhere we decided to head into the beach where we tugged our yaks through the srf down the beach til we got to a point where the current was cutoff and not so bad. To make matter worse I was wearing a new pair of neoprene shoes and they really did a number on my feet. I could barely walk that night..... Which killed the idea of fishing that night as we had planned to fish a bridge on the other side of the bay.

On Fri We decided to do Kipto again but the water was pretty snotty.We got out beyond the ships and the waves were about 2-3 with an occasional bigger wave coming through. To make matters worse the wind was blowing straight into shore. We decided to just stick it out and peddle out a distance towards the mouth of the bay, catch the incoming tide and let the wind push us back in towards shore. On the drift the yaks handled the waves perfectly even though I was a bit leery from the get go. That worked out perfectly except we didn't have a bite until the very end of our drift which put us about a half mile up the bay past the ships. All bites were doggies though. The main observation I made on that very long(2-3 hours) drift was that the water depth didn't change much at all and it really wasn't very deep either. The water up the bay towards Plantation Light has some really good dropoffs and thats really where you want to be. We peddled back to the ships where we dropped some eels down in the eddies around the ships but had no takes. Headed back in just as some of the more knowledgeable yakkers showed up to fish.........

In the end I did not get a Kipto cow but I do believe I learned quit a bit. If your fishing from kipto and want to fish the waters beyond the ships you need to catch the last hour of the incoming tide to take you down to the Plantation light area. Fish the slack tide and catch the outgoing for a ride back to the Kipto ramp. So basically, the past 2 days we should have fished the afternoon into the early night....... Apparently had we dropped in at a ramp a bit north of Kipto we could have caught the last hour of the outgoing and taken it down to Plantation Light, fish the slack and then ride the incoming back to that ramp.......... What makes that a bit tricky is that the current change does not coincide at the tide changes. I had read the current change was 3 hours off. so you have to take that into account when planning when to head down with the current to catch slack tide.

These are the things you don't consider doing it for the first time but next time we'll be prepared. If the weather holds out maybe we'll be back in a week or 2 for some catch and release.....

John

Good report!. I went down there early Saturday and got on the water at 10am. I loved the place but could not buy a fish or a bite. I fished 12 hours Saturday (10am-10pm) with just a half hour break to come in for my night lights. Then I fished another 4 hours from 6am today. I was so finished fishing that I just left today instead of tomorrow.

I fished every nook and cranny of every ship during the day and night. Nothing! I also fished the bay on the outside of the ships and the channel out to the first red buoy. I drifted eels and trolled every lure I could think off. Not a bite. I don't think it was me though. I diodn't see anyone in the boats catching either.

Plantation Light sounds cool. Gonna have to try it next time. Beautiful place!

We decided to just stick it out and peddle out a distance towards the mouth of the bay

So, what were you selling, and were there actually people out there buying anything?

Just remember, if you peddle your yak you certainly won't be able to pedal it. ;)