Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khoalua31

Spanish Mackerel

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I love smacks!

I cut them in steaks, a little seasoning of your choice(I like blackened), onto the grill, and a squeeze of lime:drool:

For the guys that think it is too fishy. Soak in salt water for 30 minutes before cooking, and rinse with cold tap water, then cook. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a smack and a wahoo.

I sprinkle skin-on fillets with small amounts of salt & pepper, small pieces of butter with orange & lemon slices on top. Wrapped in foil, grill indirect heat for 15-20 mins. Remove from skin, and remove blood line, squeeze on lemon then serve. Or cut the skin, and blood line out before cooking.

Highly recommend getting a Weber Little Smoky, getting the charcoal down to a good medium-high heat, add some wet hickory chips. 

Salt, pepper and a small pat of butter on fillets (or steaks).  Once the chips start smoking, add the fillets skin side down and close lid until done.  This is great for blues as well as the fishy oil in fish absorbs smoke.  

Given that these run frequently in the late summer and fall in NC OBX, watermelon (or watermelon salad -- look up on ***************) is a great side.  The sweetness is a good balance.

Enjoy.

a frend of mine just went to the carolinas and she got a bunch of them   she sed she will give me some on fryday  and i will smoke them  this weekend 

i have caught them b4 and we baked them they are tasty not oily  i felt it was a nice light fish  all at the table enjoyed them