Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khoalua31

Reel for 9' mojo surf

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

i would go with a 4000 size reel........many companies make a very good reel in that size but my current favorite is penn battle.

shimano baitrunner best of all time?

thats an enormous stretch but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

greatest ever! ;) i'm joking about that part but i like this reels versitility it has decent line capacity, the freespool feature for using bait, and a 4.9:1 retreive speed that can work with a lot of different lures.

i thought you were but knowing how much you like that reel i wasn't sure :D

I think Mark has a soft spot for the Shimano Thunnus (original) because it would be my favorite if i was able to cast over 700 feet with it also LOL.

If you can find one, a Shimano Sustain FE in the 6000 size. I have one on a 10ft Allstar tied Concept Guide style, with 30lb braid (Power Pro of Suffix, can't remember which) and it casts over the bar from Dry Sand with ease at IBSP. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Shimano discontinued this reel. By the way, Chris fro Staten Island has the 8000, and we could see not appreciale difference in sppol size, but I would not go lower that the 6000 size.

If you can find one, a Shimano Sustain FE in the 6000 size. I have one on a 10ft Allstar tied Concept Guide style, with 30lb braid (Power Pro of Suffix, can't remember which) and it casts over the bar from Dry Sand with ease at IBSP. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Shimano discontinued this reel. By the way, Chris fro Staten Island has the 8000, and we could see not appreciale difference in sppol size, but I would not go lower that the 6000 size.

The 6000 and 8000 size are the same reel just different capacity.. I have the 6000 but use the 8000 capacity. The Sustain FE was canceled but not the series as the Sustain FG is available, but as of now up to size 5000 only. Rumors persist that a 6000 and 8000 size will be added but we will see. Unfortunately the Sustains no longer come with a free spare spool and there is no titanium lip on them anymore either, but of course the price went up:dismay:. The new ones have X SHIP and a aluminum frame+ a lighter weight C14 rotor etc ... which is nice but the reels smoothness was never a problem in the first place, i'll take the free spool with titanium lip if i had the choice. But we don't

I'm using a Sustain FE 5000 on the 9' for now and it seems to work well. It was on my 8'6 Ben Doerr until I snapped it back in Jan. Upgraded to the Mojo. I could see where the 6000 might balance better.

dont go with a short deep spool, stradic or similar in the 4-5k size. the guide design and layout is better suited for these reels, the idea behing the lowriders is to constrict the line rapidly and come off like a conventional ie have little to no contact with the other guides thus reducing friction and increasing distance. using a deep spooled reel the line comes off in a much wider coil and the as the line comes off the reel more contact is made between the line and spool lip, vs a high or longer spool design and shallower spool the line comes off tighter and in turn gets constricted faster after the line hits the first guide. spool examples penn slammer vs stradic. also with a deeper narrower spool there may be more line slap on the blank vs a taller tapered spool. think emblem pro spool design

dont go with a short deep spool, stradic or similar in the 4-5k size. the guide design and layout is better suited for these reels, the idea behing the lowriders is to constrict the line rapidly and come off like a conventional ie have little to no contact with the other guides thus reducing friction and increasing distance. using a deep spooled reel the line comes off in a much wider coil and the as the line comes off the reel more contact is made between the line and spool lip, vs a high or longer spool design and shallower spool the line comes off tighter and in turn gets constricted faster after the line hits the first guide. spool examples penn slammer vs stradic. also with a deeper narrower spool there may be more line slap on the blank vs a taller tapered spool. think emblem pro spool design

With that said, would you say the Penn Btl6000 would work, in spool design?

Finally got out to the field the other day. Trying to get some idea of casting 3oz. A slight helping breeze sent 125yds. Seems a good start. Not sure if you ever need to send a plug further. What is typical for the 9' Mojo 3/4-4?

With that said, would you say the Penn Btl6000 would work, in spool design?

Although the Battle is a milestone for Penn be careful of one thing. On the 5000 and 6000 size it is a considerable reach to lift the line off the roller as you prepare to cast. I've got big mitts and even then the reel stem must be between my pinkie and third finger to make it.

Finally got out to the field the other day. Trying to get some idea of casting 3oz. A slight helping breeze sent 125yds. Seems a good start. Not sure if you ever need to send a plug further. What is typical for the 9' Mojo 3/4-4?

Keep this in mind as you search. I have and use often these days a Loomis 11' 1364 rated 3/4-3oz. Roughly figuring one would think a Penn 704/706 size would be perfect but consider again. The Battle reels run slightly to the heavy side when compared to the Japanese brands (not counting Baitrunners of course). I spooled exactly 253yds of 30lb Power Pro on a Penn BT4000 (no backing required on the Battle) which is way more than adequate for any Bass swimming. This new to me combination is superb particularly give the Penn's HT-100 drag stack which is damn amazing with virtually no start up.

Save yourself the arm workout and take advantage of the newer generation of lighter reels. I have wicked Carpal Tunnel and I can honestly report my fishing time has gone way up and the ache has gone way down. Ask anybody with a mean case of this and you'll understand...tis' a bitch.

Dutch