Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justinjunior

Spring and Summer fishing 1 hour north of nyc

7 posts in this topic

looking to make a few trip about an hour north of city. i would lke to target bass and trout.

does anybody have any recommendations where to go? not looking for anybodys secret honey holes

There are Several reservoirs not far from the city. If you take the Hutchinson parkway to 684 you will see several. Its the NY Water Shed System & you will need a Water Shed permit. Which is free I have fished several of the reservoirs from Croton Falls to Brewster. All sorts of fish. LMB,SNB,Pan Fish Trout Pickerel, Cats You Name it & Big fish. I've caught 6 lb largemouth, 4 lb Small mouth 4 lb Walleye 2 1.2 lb Crappie. 20 lb Lake Trout & several others. I have a Jon Boat on the Sodom reservoir in brewster & had it a good 12yrs. I got my permit in Manhattan at the water works building. Not sure where you can get one today but it isn't hard to get. You need to contact the DEP to access a NYC Water Supply Lands Access Permit. You also need a NYS Fresh Water Fishing License before applying for your permit.

You can get the watershed access permit right from the dec website.  I tried to link it here unsuccessfully.  You register and print out your access and parking permit right from that site.

You can get the watershed access permit right from the dec website.  I tried to link it here unsuccessfully.  You register and print out your access and parking permit right from that site.

The watershed permit is from NYCDEP, not NYSDEC. But this is correct, permits can be obtained via web & it's free.