Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

So, as Fairly Accomplished Cooks, What Products Do You......

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

....secretly like but are ashamed to admit to? I am talking about stuff that if you said here "I opened a can of this last night, and it was freaking awesome.....", you would fear all of us here would jump down your throat and say something like "You Heathen rookie....:squid: " Kinda stuff you might eat once every couple years, just cause...........

Perhaps I was swayed by a commercial just now, but it has been at least 15 years since I had Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.......and I just said to myself that I should pick up a can of it.........

But actually, I prefer Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup, ya know that stuff that comes dry in a package with that horrible lump of salt laden bouillon and dried out pieces of chicken that all re-hydrate when bought to a boil......a squeeze of lemon and some minced fresh parsley, and you are good to go.......

Franco American Spaghettios..................though the last time I had them (perhaps 5 years ago), they weren't as good as when I was a kid.

Progressio Chicken Soup with those horrible little meatballs................

Sloppy Joe's with something like Manwich............but again, last time I had it, not as good as when I was a kid.............

Sure there are more, but would have to think some more............

What are YOUR sins?

I can honestly say that I don't have any.

We've got a can or two of chef boyardee stuff in the pantry for those "just in case" day's. Did you know they make whole wheat version? My wife....

We've also got some Progresso and Campbells soup in there as well and I might have a can of that every now and then. Campbell's cream of chicken is actually pretty good. But canned soup is probably the only type of "processed" food we have in the house.

Wife uses the Campbell's cheese soup stuff when she makes Mac n' cheese. That and some milk and other cheese (yellow american, parm, etc). She makes VERY good Mac n' cheese, so if I were to pick one thing to fit the spirit of this thread it would have to be that.

We do most if not all of our stuff, except what's noted above, from scratch. :hardcore:

Come on, Mike, there must be SOMETHING from your childhood (which the ones I listed above are) that you fall victim to every couple years...............if you say no, I would have to think you are lying.....:p;)

Cream of chicken soup is about as close as it gets.

I think I had a can of chef boyardee ravioli 5 or 6 years ago and it was horrible. it was probably around that time we started making very substantial changes in how and what we ear up in here.

One thing I do enjoy, and it's horrible, is a melted cheese sandwich.

bread, mayo, slice or two of yellow american, and in the nuker for 30 seconds.

I can remember eating those as kids, and I still enjoy them today. :o

I think I had a can of chef boyardee ravioli 5 or 6 years ago and it was horrible.

Yeah, well, never been a fan of that stuff, even as a kid.............but I guess it is cause that Rav guy sucks as a cook......:p;):kiss:

(Sorry, Rav, that was just teed up TOO high to pass on.....;))

My admissions of guilt would mainly come from the freezer section. Hot pockets, quesadillas, pizza, and though its been a while, Geno's pizza rolls.

Oh, and canned corned beef hash. Gruel, but tasty gruel with 3 eggs over easy.

The boy wanted Chef BrD in the house for snacks. He likes it. I thought it was gross. Same went for the Chunky Soups he likes. But we have them b/c he can feed himself snacks.

Then he asks for Manwich. OK, I used to eat Sloppy Joes as a kid. I make it and you know what? Not bad in a McD's kind of way. But the kid doesn't like it. Hmmmm. Mom made it better when we were kids so I asked. She made her own. Used to saute diced peppers and onions before browning the beef and added tomato paste/chicken stock to it. I'll try that next time.

and though its been a while, Geno's pizza rolls.

While it also has been quite awhile, I have succumbed to those in the past for an after dinner snack....:o

From the freezer section, Tina's Burritos would be another.....not that that was a childhood thing, but at $0.50 or so, well.....:o....again, been quite a while (well over a year) since one of those.

I must whisperingly profess that I’ve been known to buy a value pack of the cup-o-noodles thingies (shrimp flavored and spicy chicken) from time to time.

I unsettlingly often make a late night microwaved veggie burgers using the Morningstar Griller’s Prime patties…:drool:

I must whisperingly profess that I’ve been known to buy a value pack of the cup-o-noodles thingies (shrimp flavored and spicy chicken) from time to time.

Hey, I guess that is only marginally better (or worse?, not sure) than the 10 cent pack of Ramen Noodles I have been caught buying on occasion....:o

At least I will kick them up a bit with sliced scallions and chunks of leftover chicken or pork.........

i guess I'm not really ashamed of it but I use canned clams at least 90 pct of the time for clam sauce. Convenient, kind of a pantry item for quick midweek meals.

But I also used to keep Ramen noodles around. Tried not to use the flavor packets (of mostly salt) and instead made something a little healthier to put on them but once in a while I got the craving.

Dinty Moore and Hormel chili for the hot dogs while living out of my truck for few days at the beach fishing...At home..Cambells bean and bacon for salsa dip..Feel free to cringe..if you must..:laugh:

Back in my single days, I would buy a "heavy" pound of ground beef (something like 1.25 lbs.), and a can of Manwich sauce. I'd brown the beef, stir in the sauce, and, when it was hot, I'd eat the whole thing right from the pan. Dr. Atkins would have been proud. When I think back on some of the things I ate back then, I'm surprised I didn't have to install handlebars on the toilet seat.

One thing that I loved as a kid that I still love now is a really good fast food-style burger. I'm not talking about that McDonald's crap, which is barely food, but the kind of burgers that feature real beef that's never been frozen, made fresh to order. I worked for a year in my early twenties as a caddie at a private golf club in Los Angeles, and after an especially long day, during which I'd had no food (there was no place to get it, or to eat it, on the golf course), I would go to the Fatburger down the street and order a double Kingburger with cheese and the works, and after devouring that, I'd polish off a double Fatburger (slightly smaller than the King), also with cheese and the works. The two of them together probably came in at something like 4000 calories - and I'd usually drink a shake too, meaning that in 20 minutes I'd consume about a week's worth of food. There aren't any Fatburgers around here, but there are Five Guys, which is a passable imitation of the ultimate fast-food burger, which is the one made by the West Coast chain In-N-Out Burger. I still love this stuff -- a good fast-food style burger is still a thing I love to eat.