Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clambellies

Ice fishing question...

6 posts in this topic

I haven't really ice fished since I was a kid, but these long winters are getting to me so maybe it's time to get back to it.

I don't fully understand flasher units. What the advantage of a flasher over a sonar-fishfinder type unit. I do have a couple of fishfinders that I could easily adapt to ice fishing. Thanks for your input.

a flasher gives you real time readings. if a fish shows up in the "cone" it shows up as a line on the flasher. the closer the fish gets to the center of the cone (and in this case, your bait) the darker the color gets on the flasher. from green to yellow to red. on a depth finder, you're seeing a past history. the screen scrolls and therefore shows you what happened in the past.

tough to explain. i use a flasher once in awhile when jigging. it really helps. you can see when a fish is interested in the jig, and see when it gets closer. and also when it swims away. lets you be more attentive to your bait when a fish is sniffing around.

oh, and they are also super sensitive, so you can watch your jig on the flasher and see its relation to the bottom. even tiny ice jigs.

Mike - Thanks for the info, that does clear things up for me. I've seen flashers but couldn't decipher what I was seeing. I'll probably wind up getting a unit, as jigging appeals to me. I'd like to "fish" while I'm fishing, not just watch for tilt flags.

they work. and they let you know whats down there. they'll show how hard the bottom is, how deep it is, weeds, etc...

plus, they really do help when a fish gets near. you become more tuned in to your jig, and you're careful to be quiet and work your bait properly. if the fish leaves, you know you were doing it wrong.

i agree, they definitely do help....but ive never used a flasher. I instead use my graph off of the boat. I rigged up a portable unit for it, and i even use a skimmer style transducer. Everybody tells me the flasher is faster, but i can see my jig rise and fall with my jigging, and see fish come in to the cone...plus, i'm used to it from boating. I'm sure the flasher IS faster, but the graph works great for me. I have friends though, that swear by the flasher vs. graph.