Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roverback65

Spinning Rod for Senko's

9 posts in this topic

Hi Folks

I'm on the market for a new spinning rod for use with Senko's and other plastics. Right now I am using a 6' St. Croix Premeir and an Avid, both ML. I am looking for something with a little more backbone. I pair them with Stradic 2500's. Since I travel with these setups in my car, I prefer to use shorter rods. I am looking for any suggestions for 2 rods in the 6' - 6'6" M range that would suit this purpose. My budget is in the $200 range but I will be flexible for the right product.

Thanks in advance.

You can get away with a 6' or a 6' 6'' rod if boat fishing. A 7' rod would be ideal from the shore to get more distance. I fish 7' fenwick eagle gt series rods. I would check them out. All my senkos are fished weedless and weightless and with a 7' rod. I seem to fish senkos better then my brother right next to me with a 6' 6''. hope this helps.

If you are texas rigging I would go with a medium heavy setup.

Thats completely unnecessary for a texas rig. Unless your jigging slop or punching mats theres really not much need for a medium heavy rod. Every finesse rod out there is a medium action.

St. Croix mojo bass MBS68MXF

Thats what I use. Extra fast action makes it perfect for shakey heads, texas rigged weightless worms, even drop shotting. It is a 1 pc 6' 8" rod though, but its perfect for what your looking to do. Mine is paired with a Sahara 2500 so your stradic would be perfect for it.

St Croix Legend Tournament 7'1" Medium Action "Plastics" rod. Best rod, hands down that you will ever pick up for throwing any sort of plastic bait. Parabolic action with a fast taper, throws the 4" and 5" senko a country mile. It's a fairly expensive piece of equipment, but you will never want to put it down. Only weighs 4.0 ounces too. Also a great shakey head rod.

Oops: just saw that you're looking for something in the 6'6" range. They make a 6'8" Medium action as well, which is basically a downsized version of the "Plastics" rod. They call the 6'8" version the "Wacky Style" rod.

I have a G Loomis BSR852 GLX made for throwing weightless Senkos.I haven't used it yet though. :)

You'll be throwing 5" senkos into the next area code w that rod. Careful though it's fragile.