Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joed5

Rod and reel set up.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have never seen an 11 foot surf rod that would mate up with a 12 oz reel. Don't care what your fishing for, where your fishing from or what line your intending to use. Just too small.

What if the 11 foot rod is for throwing bombers on 14# braid? Would he need the 800 yards of line capacity, extra weight, bulk, and $700 expense of a VS250 then?

How in the world can anyone say that the sheer fact that the rod is 11 feet long automatically makes a certain size reel a horrible match for it?

Fish the rod with the 150 and if after a few trips you find that there's something lacking, something not right about the way it casts, fishes, or feels, then consider changing the reel - but until you do that and come to the conclusion that the 150 isn't the right reel for the job, you're just shooting in the dark. Nobody can answer this question but you while standing on the beach, fishing.

Was thinking of going to Montauk next year. From what I have seen on the forum 11 and 12 foot rods seem to be the norm. Was not sure the limits of my VS150. Thanks

Was thinking of going to Montauk next year. From what I have seen on the forum 11 and 12 foot rods seem to be the norm. Was not sure the limits of my VS150. Thanks

Exactly,, Fishing Montauk is the key here.. You are right for the most part you see 11' & 10' rods matched up with VS250 & VS200 .. And the main reason is to be able to control and keep your fish from running into other lines and rocks. Plus these size combos will allow you to throw a wide range 2-3oz popper / darters or a 1oz bucktal or slinging a 12" eel into the night if need be..

But I have seen guys into fish on their 9' rods which would be your best matchup for a VS150 and some occasions a 10'er.. But it would not be my first or second choice to fish "M"

Steve

10 and 11 foot rods are the normal. i perfer a larger reel on my 11 foot rod but you can fish the 150 on an 11' rod, i have seen that done out there. the vs is a strong tough reel the 150 will get the job done.it might not be what you perfer but if you are "thinking" about heading out there it doesnt sound lke a reason to go drop another 7 bills and if you are getting in the water to climb on rocks and you will have the reel under that water alot the vs is a great choice. try the 150 you can always run out and buy another

Hey Joe,, also be on the look-out for a older PENN 704 or 706Z ,, get one of them and pack it up with some marine grease and you will be good-to-go also with that 11'er .. ;)

Steve

Also,., Welcome to SOL ..

What if the 11 foot rod is for throwing bombers on 14# braid? Would he need the 800 yards of line capacity, extra weight, bulk, and $700 expense of a VS250 then?

How in the world can anyone say that the sheer fact that the rod is 11 feet long automatically makes a certain size reel a horrible match for it?

Fish the rod with the 150 and if after a few trips you find that there's something lacking, something not right about the way it casts, fishes, or feels, then consider changing the reel - but until you do that and come to the conclusion that the 150 isn't the right reel for the job, you're just shooting in the dark. Nobody can answer this question but you while standing on the beach, fishing.

And what if the 150 didn't match up to the 11' rod? Spend another $700 for a larger one? I have put a 150 on an 11' stick & it is nowhere near to my liking!

I am sure some people have fished this way but I doubt very many.

Thanks for the wewlcome Steve. I have been away from surf fishing for a while, 10 - 15 years. Got really  into fresh water  fly fishing. With all the rain we had this Fall  I couldn't fly fish for trout so I  headed down to IBSP. Had  great Fall Striper fishing and now I am hooked. A lot more fun catching Stripers vs 12 inch trout. Not familiar with the new rods and reels. I have a DAM Quick 550, 2 - 40 year old Penn 750ss and a Penn 850ss. Bought a VS150 and love it. I have a Ron Arra 8 foot Lami I used, seemed a little light,  was abel to throw 2oz avas. Seemed to me  about the max I could throw.  Bought a 10 foot XRA1204 1 blank. Looking to have it built over the Winter. Thanks again, Joe

And what if the 150 didn't match up to the 11' rod? Spend another $700 for a larger one?

Sure - he already has the 150! - isn't it at least worth trying it out on the rod in question before assuming its going to be a horrible match?

Regardless, the fact that he's fishing large plugs at Montauk with presumably heavy line has a lot more to do with the right sized reel than the rod's length alone, don't it?

Thanks for the wewlcome Steve. I have been away from surf fishing for a while, 10 - 15 years. Got really  into fresh water  fly fishing. With all the rain we had this Fall  I couldn't fly fish for trout so I  headed down to IBSP. Had  great Fall Striper fishing and now I am hooked. A lot more fun catching Stripers vs 12 inch trout. Not familiar with the new rods and reels. I have a DAM Quick 550, 2 - 40 year old Penn 750ss and a Penn 850ss. Bought a VS150 and love it. I have a Ron Arra 8 foot Lami I used, seemed a little light,  was abel to throw 2oz avas. Seemed to me  about the max I could throw.  Bought a 10 foot XRA1204 1 blank. Looking to have it built over the Winter. Thanks again, Joe

Time to get into Saltwater Fly Fishing. It's A Blast!!