Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

Please Help Recommend 10' 2pc Pencil Rod

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys, looking for a 10' 2pc rod that would be a bit whippy and therefore good for working pencils. I'd also be throwing big metal lips with it, and occasionally bucktails... but for the most part large pencils/metal lips in the 2 1/2 - 4oz range. I know this is a question that has probably been asked before, but I could only find 1pc pencil popper rod recommendations using the search feature. I need a 2pc because I simply don't have the room in the car for a 1pc (wish I did :(). You guys have any recommendations? Thanks for any help!

10' 6" St Croix Mojo Surf

11' AnyFish Anywhere Estuary rod

Both fish like 10' ers. Light, strong, can work a pencil or plugs well.

10' 6" St Croix Mojo Surf

11' AnyFish Anywhere Estuary rod

Both fish like 10' ers. Light, strong, can work a pencil or plugs well.

Know of anything lighter than the St Croix Mojo Sudsy? I already have that rod, its a real nice rod, but I grew tired fishing with it after awhile.

Get the 10'6" mojo....2-6.....Relatively Inexpensive and great rod...Even better than the more expensive Legend Surf 10'6" 2-6. .In the future you will be able to upgrade to any Legend Surf with a $10 per year charge...The Shimano Tiralejo 10' is also a great rod for your purpose but more expensive...Don't waste your $$$ on custom...Factory rods are a very good choice for your specification...

Mojo for sure - best value for $.

10'6 - 3/4- 4 -- tops out at 3oz. (I have this rod & it's great) . I agree with Levari if you want to throw heavier plugs go with the 10'6 - 2- 6.

AFAW Estuary is very nice as well but tops out at 3 for all practical purposes. It's also more $.

Certain CTS & Century blanks are also great BUT they also cost $$$.

Manny

Keep in mind that there is a materials properties tradeoff that will likely come into play in one way or another here. Light weight usually means very high-modulus graphite which tends to lend itself to fast actions - i.e. the opposite of what most people would consider a good pencil popping action. Until you mentioned weight as a main factor I was going to suggest one of the larger Lami glass blanks cut from the butt to 10 feet because I think they can work a pencil fantastically, but you're never going to get that same action out of a lightweight ultra-high-mod graphite blank.

2nd EB's point and (this might be more personal preference I guess) a rod that is really good for working a pencil popper would be terrible for bucktails IMO. seems like you are asking for something that is at opposite ends of the spectrum. you will have to give a little on some of the requirements. teh 10' century stealth is lilghtweight and can work a pencil, i would go to 4oz with it and it wouldnt be my first choice for bucktails.

I am not a Mojo lover by any means, but i don't hate them either, i do want to add an observation which is, the Mojo's are constructed of St.Croix's lowest mod material (SCII) and most are far from fast action, especially when comparing them to many of St.Croix's offerings of the past .

It has been true and still is today in many cases that many very lightweight rods are constructed of high mod material which (for the most part ) provides a fast action blank, but it 's just not the case in this particular situation.

The fact that the 10'6 rods weigh around 12 to 13 oz is a testament to good design more than anything else imo , as St. Croix's Premier surf series uses the same material albeit those rods weigh considerably more even with identical lengths and weight ratings.

I am not a Mojo lover by any means, but i don't hate them either, i do want to add an observation which is, the Mojo's are constructed of St.Croix's lowest mod material (SCII) and most are far from fast action, especially when comparing them to many of St.Croix's offerings of the past .

It has been true and still is today in many cases that many very lightweight rods are constructed of high mod material which (for the most part ) provides a fast action blank, but it 's just not the case in this particular situation.

What rod are you referring to that has a slower action but's made of high mod graphite? If the mojo is too heavy and made of "mid" (really, low) mod graphite - what blank is the exception to the rule? Some of the AFAW blanks seem to have a pretty good pencil action, and flex well into the midsection, but I think I would still argue that the material itself is nonetheless "fast", so even a rod with a slower action in the traditional sense is going to bounce a pencil faster than a glass blank with a similar flex profile. Maybe it is out there and I'm just stubborn about these things, but I can't say I've ever seen a 10 foot graphite rod that can work a pencil the way I like to. Above 10 feet its a different story as something like a 1321L does a pretty good job.

What rod are you referring to that has a slower action but's made of high mod graphite? If the mojo is too heavy and made of "mid" (really, low) mod graphite - what blank is the exception to the rule? Some of the AFAW blanks seem to have a pretty good pencil action, and flex well into the midsection, but I think I would still argue that the material itself is nonetheless "fast", so even a rod with a slower action in the traditional sense is going to bounce a pencil faster than a glass blank with a similar flex profile. Maybe it is out there and I'm just stubborn about these things, but I can't say I've ever seen a 10 foot graphite rod that can work a pencil the way I like to. Above 10 feet its a different story as something like a 1321L does a pretty good job.

I was responding to your statement that "lightweight usually means very high mod graphite" which usually equates to fast actions and a poor pencil popper rod in many peoples view. It was my mistake in thinking that your response was aimed at the Mojo's but after reading it again, it wasn't so i offer you my apology:o

Since i thought you were referring to the Mojo's, and since they are very lightweight i wanted to say that it is possible for designers to produce a very lightweight rod without it needing to be constructed of a high mod material which is the case with the Mojo's.

There was no argument from me about many people believing and accepting that if a rod is extremely lightweight it most likely will be constructed of a higher mod material and possess a faster action, that is still the belief today and still applies for the majority of cases

Now, regarding your Honey's and 1321L , stellar rods for pencils, no question and still the #1 choice by most pro's. I was not comparing them to the Mojo's

Not even the new year yet and i'm involved in a Mojo thread, Dang it::dismay: We need an icon of someone putting a gun in their mouth.

Get the 10'6" mojo....2-6.....Relatively Inexpensive and great rod...Even better than the more expensive Legend Surf 10'6" 2-6. .In the future you will be able to upgrade to any Legend Surf with a $10 per year charge...The Shimano Tiralejo 10' is also a great rod for your purpose but more expensive...Don't waste your $$$ on custom...Factory rods are a very good choice for your specification...

Mojo 2-6 is too stiff for pencils IMO. The 10'6" rated 3/4-5 or the 11' Mojo rated 3-8 does a better job with pencils... even the 9" MM rated 3/4-4 does than the 2-6...

Mojo 2-6 is too stiff for pencils IMO. The 10'6" rated 3/4-5 or the 11' Mojo rated 3-8 does a better job with pencils... even the 9" MM rated 3/4-4 does than the 2-6...

Yeah, many prefer the 2-6 rod for jigging. It really comes down to the individuals likes and preferences of course. There is more than a few that plug with the CTS S-8 surfs, and they are far faster than the 2-6 rod.The eleven Mojo is very moderate, and according to Andy does not handle it's upper range well at all. Says it's fantastic for Pencils in the 4 to 5 oz range though.