Penn Squall

Rate this topic

ffgorin

Got some good ole giftcards for Christmas and was looking to get some new gear.  Read a little bit about the Squall 15 in the surf and was curious if any of you all had any good reviews on these reels.  I am also open to any other suggestions for a good reel in the surf.

Thanks

Can't really speak for the 15 other than casting it, and it is really smooth.. But the 525mag (the Squall is an updated version of this reel), SL20SH (or 30), Saltist 20 or 30 are all great reels similar in size and price. All are very castable and can catch fish no problem. Down here on the OBX those are pretty much the most popular reels and they catch drum 50+ inches and medium size sharks from the surf.

LTSL

I use the Squall 15 all the time but actually like the Penn 525 Mag better. Seems likes the the 525 has more balls! I had 2 which I sold which I regret. I would stay with the the 525. Another thing is that most guys spool it up with 17 pound mono but to me 20 lb.rules! Less breaks offs and more power casting. I might go to 25 lb.this year for my cows!...John

Squalls ain't got the balls that the 525 has! I put a gold Penn gold power handle I got off the bay on it and had Hatteras Jack put a knobby mag on it along same with a Pro Gear 501 and a Penn 146 with Newell conversion and love them. Next is my Okuma Contoura which is an awesome reel. Just picked up a Penn 350 in mint condition which I got tricked out! I have a brand new Penn 140 with 2 bakelite spools plus an aluminum spool which I'm dying to sell!

You may want to take a look at the new Akois line of reels. You can't beat them for distance & the come already tricked out with ceramic bearings & is aready magged!

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2674487/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

Comes with 2 handles & a nice reel cover.

Flytyingguy What Akios is that?

Ffgorin I have a Penn 525 that I like and think the Squall would be just as nice wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

You can buy 2 Penn 525's for the price of 1 Akios! If you have the extra money then you can buy the Akios. My 525 is a beast along with my Squidders and Pro Gears and guess which one slayed my 50lber!....John

It aint all about the show!

Really? The Akios sells for $149.00 New So I guess the Penn is $75??

Maybe he meant used penn mags, as they have been going for $75-80

For the price ... Penn 525mags and would assume the squalls being no different are hell of reels for the price. As for the comment above the squall being a coffee grinder i can't say i've picked one up yet that didn't feel like my old 525mag perhaps the tackle shop was trying to push a reel that everyone's been rejecting. I have purchased reels in the past online for really good prices that I call rejects often all theses reels need are a fresh service as grease can dry up if its been sitting on a shelf or even assemble in haste at the factory. A full break down, grease and proper re assembly is all it takes to get them running smooth.

Just throw a curve ball the new squalls and Torques are essentially the same reel if you want a surf reel with some balls add a mag and you have one but at a price.. i have a photo of mine on here somewhere I added a Squall handle too, I made an attempt to put an adjustable internal mag in it useing 525 parts but my plan didn't wouldn't work given the the way the parts where designed, so the standard mag epoxied into the side plate which from everything I've read is simple and effective may be the pre spring solution.