Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fcap60

Are other (non-eel) baits available to surfcasters ?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

It seems like when we talk about throwing any live or even dead bait from the surf, we are always talking about live or rigged eels.

I'm just curious if any surfcasters have experienced with an alternative bait.

Personally, I've often wondered why we don't fish with live or dead (rigged) squid baits more often since they are readily available and I'm sure with some ingenuity, can be used in a variety of ways. .

Just curious, any thoughts ?

you wanna hook and cast a live squid?

good luck with that :th:

:p

Eels don't need oxygenated water to stay alive - just about every other aquatic animal you might want to use as live bait would require you carry around a fish tank. For dead bait - we use all sorts of other stuff, squid, bunker, mackerel - but the physical properties of an eel somewhat uniquely lets it cast well, stay on a hook, still have a sexy, fish-catching action even while dead, and without turning to mush right away either. Other dead baits are scent attractors and sit on the bottom while an eel is visually attractive and can be worked throughout the water column. I honestly can't think of anything else with characteristics that would make it a viable eel alternative.

I use pretty much everything bud depending on my mood and how I read the ocean. Time of year also has a lot to do with it.

Spring, I always have some squid with me. I cut it into long strips same is if I was fluking and usually, if everything else fails, will do very well with it with bass this year up to 37 inches. One hook high and one smaller one low with them both embedded into the same bait on a slider rig.

I messed around with "rigging" squid but oddly enough, the long fat strips rigged the way I wrote usually work best - especially if you have a head to throw onto the bottom hook.

After the spring squid run, I will almost always have some clams with me in case plugs aren't doing anything and again, have caught fish up to 43 inches on a simple 2 hook clam rig on a slider with both hooks placed high and low within the same clam.

I never "chunk" bunker and if it is not possible for me to use live (which it is usually too much of a pain anyway where I go) I will use them whole with a single hook. Even if the bass aren't hitting in close (where I fish they are usually very tight in to the rocks), it is always good to break up the night and heave one out a ways or let it run the outgoing for some big blues.

I run all kinds of stuff although my bucket is also filled with a crap load of plugs. I usually also have bait on me no matter when and where I am going. It's just how I was taught. Never bank on the fish just wanting what you FEEL like giving them. Hedging your bets is the way to catch more and bait works although it will also put you on people's crap list if they are throwing plugs and you are mucking up the works with a bottom rig in the middle of a rotation. That's just not a recommended course of action but one so many people seem to think is a good idea.

It’s a different kind of fishing but I know a few guys who fish bridges and piers a lot and they will cast net whatever live bait is available (mullet, squid, shad, bunker) and then rig it with a float to drift with the current. They have taken some impressive fish like this…

Frank-Go back in your time machine to Cutty- put on your three piece suit- walk out on the bass stand- and your chummer will put on a hunk of lobster for you.

So lets try lobster sometime.

If lobster were inexpensive and readliy available, I would try it.

Perhaps, Green Crabs though.

Most of the larger fish I've kept had either lobster or crabs inside.