Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

X-Flocking over cork tape

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Getting ready to build a new rod. I always use cork tape for my butt and foregrip sections on my surf rods. For this build I was thinking about covering the cork tape with black X-flocking. Will the cork tape "spiral seam" show where the tape overlaps itself show or can this be prevented?

Thanks

Sandcrab

If you wrap the cork tape carefully there should not be a visible seam showing through the shrink tubing. However, I spiral wrap electrical tape over the seam, stretching the electrical tape as I spiral it over the seam. I then anchor both ends down with a wrap of electrical tape. Finally I brush on some slow-cure epoxy on the cork tape and then install the shrink tubing.

I also recommend wrapping with tight , even slight rise at the seams. I do not sand them though. I work the seams with my fingers until smooth. The idea is to have the spiral seam in compression because over time the cork shrinks and so being under compression means there will be no gap formed when it shrinks.

I never had a seam see through issue with X flock but I suppose it could happen. Al's method is pretty sound so if you are worried go that route.

My only caution with shrink wraps like X flock or any other is to make it a little long , shrink it then carefully trim excess a little at a time.. Once you cut it you can't put it back on and if not careful you could come up short if you cut it too short before shrinking or try to trim it in one cut and cut too much off after shrinking.

I thought I would through this out there for you guys.  I just put some Tennis Raquet Over Grip over my existing cork tape then sealed it in with a clear vinyl shrink wrap that I got at US plastics on my surf rods.  Go to usplastic.com and search for "VinylGuard".  It is clear, works great and is much cheaper than the traditional black shrink wrap used for electrical wire.  It is also resistant to UV, salt, moiture, fungus and is flame retardant.  Also because it is clear it gives you the ability to get fancy with your grips,

I used two colors of the over grip to make a design.  Also you feel the soft spongy feel of the overgrip which is very comfortable.  I generally always wanted shrink wrap vs. cork tape on my surf rods because it is far less abrasive on my waders when I put the rod between my legs.  If anyone wants to see pic's let me know I can shoot some.

(*edited - Sorry no commercial links allowed

Saltheart)

Really the only reason to put x flock over cork tape is if you want a thicker rod handle/grip area than you would get with x flock alone. One problem is that if water seeps in between the x flock and cork tape the cork can eventually get soaked and the grip end of the rod can get much heavier.

Really the only reason to put x flock over cork tape is if you want a thicker rod handle/grip area than you would get with x flock alone. One problem is that if water seeps in between the x flock and cork tape the cork can eventually get soaked and the grip end of the rod can get much heavier.

Wrapping the ends with a marine or even electrical tape takes care of that issue.

Yep , and be sure to overlap the tape around the bottom of the blank and have some to seal to the ID of the blank. That creates a completely watertight seat. Its really only important to people who actually submerge the rod butt a lot , like in Skishing. For normal fishing with your feet on the ground its not much of a problem for most people.