Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hairy Beast

January 1st is the start of Trout Fishing Season in a bunch of NH rivers!

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I remember the bay being covered with shacks at this time, most years. Seems ice is in later and out earlier, but have to admit it's been unusual weather so far, with that big snow in October.

Most all rivers open on January 1st. in NH.

Do you have any flys you would suggest? Im getting a fly rod with christmas money and am hoping to try it a few times before I have to go back to school.

Thanks,

Taylor

i'm up at newfound for the winter. Ice is just starting . I took a peek at it the other day and about 2 in in that spot. Anyone else up this way? pm me im dieing to get out of the house soon and hit some spot for hard water

Do you have any flys you would suggest? Im getting a fly rod with christmas money and am hoping to try it a few times before I have to go back to school.

Thanks,

Taylor

This time of the year it's all Nymphs fished on the drift: stoneflies, woolly buggers, hare's ear and the classic bead Head Olive leech (I believe you saw how well that worked in April). Floating line on the swing!

Here's one I caught on the drift using a prince nymph last April:

i'm up at newfound for the winter. Ice is just starting . I took a peek at it the other day and about 2 in in that spot. Anyone else up this way? pm me im dieing to get out of the house soon and hit some spot for hard water

My buddy Ron's son did really well there above the dam in February last year. Here he is with his buddy on the first day of the 2011 winni derby - this fish got 6th place:

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2681370/width/600/height/449]

beautie's, nice weather to fish in also,

The guy in the bottom picture, Mike (with the headlamp), really pounds em good. I met him last spring during salmon season. Here he is with his son MJ pulling in a nice landlock:

I think dad was happier than son that day...