Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeneralSwimBait

Almost plug painting time again...

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So i set up my dryer and now i'm gonna be buying a small compressor and a set of airbrushes but i was curious as to what type of clear coat i should be getting to ensure my paint jobs actually stay on the wood this time.. last year i didn't realize that i should have cleared the blanks b4 and after the scheme is layed out on the plugs. i was looking into rod building epoxy but im not sure either way so if any1 can guide me in the right direction that would be just peachy!;)

There is a thread titled 'Clear coat before epoxy finish ?' right now on the lure building forum,page 1.

Seems the guys there are split over whether to apply an automotive type clear coat before epoxy top coat or just go with epoxy.

The guys who do spray clear coat see advantages in lack of fish eyes[bubbles],streaks ,and more protection when wiring.

Sounds like you are making lures for yourself, not commercially, so I wouldn't worry too much about a slight imperfection,fish don't know the difference,just go with the epoxy, Envirotex Lite, I got mine from 'Michaels' arts and crafts shop.

There is a thread titled 'Clear coat before epoxy finish ?' right now on the lure building forum,page 1.

Seems the guys there are split over whether to apply an automotive type clear coat before epoxy top coat or just go with epoxy.

The guys who do spray clear coat see advantages in lack of fish eyes[bubbles],streaks ,and more protection when wiring.

Sounds like you are making lures for yourself, not commercially, so I wouldn't worry too much about a slight imperfection,fish don't know the difference,just go with the epoxy, Envirotex Lite, I got mine from 'Michaels' arts and crafts shop.[/quote

cool im gonna check that place in the a.m. thanks for the heads up!!!:D

Your clear coat has less to do with your paint staying on your plug than the compatibility and adhesion between your sealer, primer, and paint. Nor does the clear coat seal your plug. If you get it right your paint will stay on even after all the coats are cut up by hook swing.