Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Da Boss

Hello Everyone!!!

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I just join and heard lots of good things about this website. I'm new to fishing, I have no experience at all in fishing. Hopefully you guys can teach me a thing or two. I'll will start to fish in NJ waters coming this spring. Hopefully I can find a fellow or a gal that can show me the ropes. 

So please, can someone recommend on what type of rod and reel I'm going to need for the surf coming this spring. I don't want to spend so much money since I'm a beginner, I don't know if I'am going to like it, but I want to give it a try anyway. 

Thanks guys. 

AL 

NJ or SJ ?

North Jersey, basic plug and bait beginner, figure 10' rod rated 1 to 5 oz lure weight, and a spinning reel.

Expect to pay more then $100, less then $200 for barely acceptable quality new stuff. $350 will get you a rod n reel you'll be happy with for years, less $ stuff probably not so much.

Avoid the WallyWorld Shakespeare rod/reel combo garbage.

Think Tsunami, Okuma, Tica, (chinese) Penn. Not the greatest of gear but sufficient to get started.

You'll also need waders, and if you're going to be fishing the rocks, Korkers (they'll keep you out of the emergency room), along with a tackle bag and some lures. Tackle bags and lures do NOT have to be expensive.

As soon as you have the posts and time in required to access it, put up a "want to buy" post in the Buy Sell Trade forum.

Better to get good stuff used then crap stuff new.

I just join and heard lots of good things about this website. I'm new to fishing, I have no experience at all in fishing. Hopefully you guys can teach me a thing or two. I'll will start to fish in NJ waters coming this spring. Hopefully I can find a fellow or a gal that can show me the ropes. 

So please, can someone recommend on what type of rod and reel I'm going to need for the surf coming this spring. I don't want to spend so much money since I'm a beginner, I don't know if I'am going to like it, but I want to give it a try anyway. 

Thanks guys. 

AL 

:wave:

Welcome to the best fishing site on the web.

I wouldn't get anything until you look around & ask as many questions as you want.

Get formula with the site & the people will be more than happy to help you out.

Figure on a budget that you want to spend & the type of fishing you want to do.

Again Welcome..........

Thank you for the warm welcoming guys, sorry to respond so late. My buddy is fixing my computer (old PC) right now and its not looking good, looks like I'm going to have to go out and purchase a new one.

Sudsy, I'm in the sandy hook area. I was looking at the list you made there for me, I appreciate it. Seems like I have to go out and do some shopping for the fall fishing. Maybe I will go to a tackle shop around my area and see what they got. I was also inform about flea markets happening around monmouth cty in the winter, so maybe I can give that a try also.

P.S

The gentleman that told me about this site was right,

Awesome Site

Awesome People  

Thank you again, 

AL

Sudsy, I'm in the sandy hook area. I was looking at the list you made there for me, I appreciate it. Seems like I have to go out and do some shopping for the fall fishing. Maybe I will go to a tackle shop around my area and see what they got. I was also inform about flea markets happening around monmouth cty in the winter, so maybe I can give that a try also.

My home waters :wave:

Don't go rushing out to buy something, you have some time.

Stick around and earn your access to the BST forum. At some point of time nearly every one of us here has upgraded their gear and sold off the rest, often to guys just getting into the sport.

Hell, I've probably set up 3 or 4 guys through the BST :D

If you want the perfect starter setup for the area, and one you'll be happy with for many many years, then look at the 10' Lami XS101MS with a Penn 706 spooled with 30# Fireline. I used that setup for years.

It's versatile enough to do pretty much anything you want to do around here, from plugging to pencil popping, it can even toss bait pretty well (although you'll probably want to get a baitrunner reel at some point for that)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkey N Sons View Post

You guys are giving all kinds of advice and yet there has been no TOLL paid yet.

We're gonna need a joke from you bud.

Sorry, it's in the rules..smile.gif

An old Italian Mafia Don is dying and he called his grandson to his bed and told him: "Grandson I wanta you to listen to me. I wanta you to take mya 45 automatic pistol, so you will always remember me". The grandson replies: "But grandpa I really don't like guns, how about you leaving me your Rolex watch instead". 

The don, angry, answers: "You lisina to me, some day you goin a be runna da bussiness, you goina have a beautiful wife, lotsa money, a biga home and maybe a couple od bambino, some day you goina come hom and maybe finda you wife in be with another man. Whata you gonna do then? Pointa to you watch and say, 'TIMES UP'"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

My home waters HappyWave.gif

Don't go rushing out to buy something, you have some time.

Stick around and earn your access to the BST forum. At some point of time nearly every one of us here has upgraded their gear and sold off the rest, often to guys just getting into the sport.

Hell, I've probably set up 3 or 4 guys through the BST biggrin.gif

If you want the perfect starter setup for the area, and one you'll be happy with for many many years, then look at the 10' Lami XS101MS with a Penn 706 spooled with 30# Fireline. I used that setup for years.

It's versatile enough to do pretty much anything you want to do around here, from plugging to pencil popping, it can even toss bait pretty well (although you'll probably want to get a baitrunner reel at some point for that)

Thanks again Sudsy, I was looking at the BST forum, seems they have good stuff there at a reasonable price. 

Here's my joke:

An old Italian Mafia Don is dying and he called his grandson to his bed and told him: "Grandson I wanta you to listen to me. I wanta you to take mya 45 automatic pistol, so you will always remember me". The grandson replies: "But grandpa I really don't like guns, how about you leaving me your Rolex watch instead". 

The don, angry, answers: "You lisina to me, some day you goin a be runna da bussiness, you goina have a beautiful wife, lotsa money, a biga home and maybe a couple od bambino, some day you goina come hom and maybe finda you wife in be with another man. Whata you gonna do then? Pointa to you watch and say, 'TIMES UP'"?

I know, its awful. 

If you're wondering why some of your posts aren't showing up - it's the new system (and a pia). It thinks some of the posts are spam.

I approved them all (so now it looks like you made multiple posts) which will help train it to like you.

Should be OK from here on out.