Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperboy10

12' skiff with 3.5 hp motor?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

At the moment i have an inflatable with a really nice 2010 4 stroke mercury 3.5 hp engine. I dont really like how the inflatable handles at all and the only use i get out of it is just tooling around the harbor and to get to my dads boat...my parents wont let me get my own skiff aka carolina skiff or brockway skiff becuase they say i dont have anywere to store it etc... but i was thinking of getting a 12' aluminum and put my engine on that?....my parents are letting me get a 12' aluminum since its so lightweight and we can just lean it up during the winter. do you think the 3.5 hp would move it along okay?...im just going to be using it in wellfleet bay and around the marshes etc. on the cape. can two fish out of it with enough power for it to move?

a small aluminum seems to be a good solution.

thank you

Sure that motor will move you, but you're not going to get anywhere very fast. I doubt that you'd even see the boat plane, but it shouldn't matter; you don't need speed to fish. In fact, a 12 foot tin boat with a small motor is ideal for slow trolling in shallow rocky areas. You'll be outfishing the guys with the big rigs! Good luck.

Valentine

Yes, yes, yes! Jack C makes an excellent point that I forgot to mention; Little boats have BIG limitations.

Pick your fishing days wisely and watch what the weather is doing. Stay close to home because you'll never outrun a storm and always let Mom and Dad know where you'll be when you are out. Cell phones work great close to shore. Carry one. Be safe.

Valentine

When I was a kid I had a Montgomery Wards 12' alum with a 3.5hp air cooled Sea King OB. I clamped a broom pole to the tiller and sat on the middle seat and it would plane out.

do you think a 12' aluminum is big enough to fish out of in the bays and estuaries?....with 2 people?

How big are the people? LOL

Read the capacity of the boat you get on the coast guard plate, be sure to count the motor, equipment and all into the total. However, give up getting up onto plane.

You may be able to trade-sell your motor for a 5 or 10 hp which would give you for go power [again consult the capacity plate]. There are always guys looking for small gear, plus now is the time others are dumping their small motor to buy something up.

I fish out of a 14' tin boat. I started with a 9.9 24 years ago and then when I blew that up I went to a 15 and when I blow that up I will go with a 2 stroke 25. Like stated above you won't get any where fast and will tax the engine to the max to get 2 people moving but after you blow it up you can get something better. I fish 2 people all the time. I got a bigger boat too but I luv the tin most. Best boat I ever owned. Luv inshore fishing. Good for that piece of water. Have fun and be safe.