Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cortez The Killie Killer

To Kill A Mockingbird...

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

My daddy said that I could kill all of the bluejays that I wanted, but It was a sin to kill a mockingbird. A story of integrity. Any one of us could be a Tom Robinson, few, if any could be Atticus Finch.

It was only written after friends (the Browns, a husband and wife) gave Nelle Harper Lee a Christmas gift (enough money to quit her job and to write exclusively).

I think she'd have written it anyway but the free time spent doing it dovetailed well with the whole literary scene at the time.

I think Atticus was the guy she wanted her father to be but wasn't.

My daddy said that I could kill all of the bluejays that I wanted, but It was a sin to kill a mockingbird. A story of integrity. Any one of us could be a Tom Robinson, few, if any could be Atticus Finch.

It was only written after friends (the Browns, a husband and wife) gave Nelle Harper Lee a Christmas gift (enough money to quit her job and to write exclusively).

What's up with all the morality and stuff?

You havin a bad day?

No doubt the reason is that character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

-Helen Keller

You havin a bad day?

No doubt the reason is that character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

-Helen Keller

Character is forged through adversity and failure.

Am I having a bad day? Let's just say that I am growing weary of adversity.

A bad day seems to breed like mice and rabbits.

I have been thinking about the fact that we shall never walk the same steps twice. Therefore, it's important to appreciate the enormous and grave impact of our words and actions. They say that you can't un-ring a bell once rung. Yet, you have to have the confidence to strike it. I've been trying to gain some inspiration from those (living or dead, known to me personally or strangers) that have insight into human nature, our minds and souls and to, perhaps grasp a piece from their journey. I've always been a fan of Atticus, and perhaps a greater fan of Scout; so I picked up the book again and sought out a few lines. I've been thinking about the 39 men who risked the gallows by signing the Constitution. My life is so small when compared to these men or to Atticus, or to most people, in fact. In order to give life purpose we must ring the bell. Yet, sometimes it doesn't ring so true.

I have been thinking about the fact that we shall never walk the same steps twice. Therefore, it's important to appreciate the enormous and grave impact of our words and actions. They say that you can't un-ring a bell once rung. Yet, you have to have the confidence to strike it. I've been trying to gain some inspiration from those (living or dead, known to me personally or strangers) that have insight into human nature, our minds and souls and to, perhaps grasp a piece from their journey. I've always been a fan of Atticus, and perhaps a greater fan of Scout; so I picked up the book again and sought out a few lines. I've been thinking about the 39 men who risked the gallows by signing the Constitution. My life is so small when compared to these men or to Atticus, or to most people, in fact. In order to give life purpose we must ring the bell. Yet, sometimes it doesn't ring so true.

:th:

Good Stuff !

Dennis

I have been thinking about the fact that we shall never walk the same steps twice. Therefore, it's important to appreciate the enormous and grave impact of our words and actions. They say that you can't un-ring a bell once rung. Yet, you have to have the confidence to strike it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogboy 1/28/10

word of mouth and "whisper campaigns" before the internet did not travel as far or as fast

today, one nasty comment on ******** by a classmate will be disseminated instantly to the whole class- those less well equipped to deal with a single enemy now have to face the whole class alone, which pushes more of them over the edge than it used to

think of it a pubescent swift-boating

regardless of the truth of the matter, getting blindsided like that is a lot different than is was in the day of the little red schoolhouse

you don't need speed limits when you are walking

crank it up to warp 5 and the tree that bumped your forehead when you walked into it reading comic books now splatters you into tiny fragments

1/28/10 lichum

From boyhood, I remember a Sunday sermon delivered by one of our parish priests. The sermon was about opening up a feather pillow on a windy day and letting the feathers blow away. The priest said that harmful or untruthful words, once spoken of others, would be as impossible to take back as it would be to retrieve the feathers scattered to the wind.

You make a valid point on the capacity of modern communications technology to "scatter the feathers" and amplify the hurtfulness of certain communications.

Understanding that, I oppose imposition of penalties (criminal or civil) for what others deem mean, nasty, caustic, vicious words, or brutal and incessant teasing.

More speech, including more ugly speech, is better than less speech, particularly less speech for fear of being penalized for saying what others claim is mean or hateful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogboy 1/28/10

word of mouth and "whisper campaigns" before the internet did not travel as far or as fast

today, one nasty comment on ******** by a classmate will be disseminated instantly to the whole class- those less well equipped to deal with a single enemy now have to face the whole class alone, which pushes more of them over the edge than it used to

think of it a pubescent swift-boating

regardless of the truth of the matter, getting blindsided like that is a lot different than is was in the day of the little red schoolhouse

you don't need speed limits when you are walking

crank it up to warp 5 and the tree that bumped your forehead when you walked into it reading comic books now splatters you into tiny fragments

1/28/10 lichum

From boyhood, I remember a Sunday sermon delivered by one of our parish priests. The sermon was about opening up a feather pillow on a windy day and letting the feathers blow away. The priest said that harmful or untruthful words, once spoken of others, would be as impossible to take back as it would be to retrieve the feathers scattered to the wind.

You make a valid point on the capacity of modern communications technology to "scatter the feathers" and amplify the hurtfulness of certain communications.

Understanding that, I oppose imposition of penalties (criminal or civil) for mean, nasty, caustic, vicious words, or brutal and incessant teasing.

More speech, including more ugly speech, is better than less speech, particularly less speech for fear of being penalized for saying something mean.

Interesting. Yet, brutal and incessant teasing, if done with the purpose to harrass has always been subject to criminal punishment as harassment. I'm not sure that a hands off approach is wise, yet the opposite with charges filed is often less wise. (most harassment cases have insufficient evidence of "intent"

Anything that is done, is never done by coincidence. Everything in life happens for a reason and a purpose. We don't see this clearly at times, especially when we are weary, stressed, overworked or ill, but in time clarity will come forth. I have gotten better with being able to deal with life's concerns. I look at the good in everything, especially the hard times, for nothing is forever. I believe this.

I hope you get some rest tonight my friend. And remember, this is as good as it gets, just for the moment!

But for whom doeth thy bell toll?

Interesting

CTKK:

Banish your angst!

Embrace existentialism and revel in the vitality of your agency.

MACBETH:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time,

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more: it is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

Macbeth was wrong.

The beginning of his anomie's antidote is to be found in thoughts such as pricise10's:

"Try not to become a man of success but a man of value".

You havin a bad day?

-Helen Keller

Fair enough...

Actually asked out of genuine concern (though a bit flippantly) Maybe I rang a bell (no pun intended...seriously)

I for one don't necessarily see the ringing of a bell as an unredemptive act. Words spoken (or recieved) in haste, or in anger, or in an unfeeling manor need not be an end. I truly believe in redemption...and also in man's predisposition to faulty perception....quite often my own.

Having a bit of faith in a Power Greater Than myself helps immensely with all of this.

Peace,

John

I think she'd have written it anyway but the free time spent doing it dovetailed well with the whole literary scene at the time.

I think Atticus was the guy she wanted her father to be but wasn't.

According to a documentary entitled, "Hey Boo!" it is widely accepted that Harper Lee's dad was Atticus and that he lived up to that ideal. The character "Dill" , the boy who visited his Aunt in summers and who plotted to get Boo out of his house was, in fact, Truman Capote. They were childhood friends. Capote did live next door in the Summer. Harper Lee helped Capote research his book "In Cold Blood". Years later, Capote became jealous over Lee's success and never spoke with Lee. Capote even suggested that "he had his secrets" alluding to his suggestion that he helped write Mockingbird. This is thought to be jealousy at it worst.